Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voyager 2.5 CRD 2003 - EGR valve cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:29 AM

[QUOTE=vrc8883;67226]Hmmm: That all seems very different from my 2007 2.8CRD. If you do not have a problem I would simply use a tin of Wynns Diesel EGR3 cleaner - you spray it into the air inlet after the air mass sensor with the engine running...[/QUOTE]

Bought EGR cleaner but i cant locate the egr and air mass sensor

Old 10-03-2014, 10:58 AM
tfb

The mass airflow sensor is connected by a short rubber coupling to the air filter box.

In my opinion, the down side of these EGR cleaners is that any junk dislodged ends up in the engine. I'd much rather dismantle and use a blowtorch on the manifolds and a wire brush on the valve.

Regards
Richard

Old 10-05-2014, 09:08 AM
kkc

I agree with you tfb. When installing my EGR, the EGR out pipe was 40% blocked at the bend. Only one way to clean this ...!

Old 10-05-2014, 03:20 PM

Hi, reading about EGR cleaning out through the threads. Is there any new joins whether metal or material required for sealing.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:39 AM
kkc

just use old seals --- they should be ok + appropriate silicon gasket sealant. on the egr valve i received the, the two holes for connecting the out pipe were not threaded like in the old egr valve, so i had to improvise and use a couple of bolts and nuts. it's a tight fitting so suggest you connect the valve to the outgoing pipe BEFORE installing in engine compartment and attaching to exhaust manifold.

Last edited by kkc; 10-07-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:57 AM

Would not just removing the Vacuum pipe that activates the EGR and sealing it stop it from working?

Old 08-16-2015, 03:51 PM

See Youtube for vid of isolating EGR this way. One of the top whacks on here did this quite recently. Only thing about isolating it this way, is if it is partially blocked and jammed slightly open there will be no difference to your diagnosis. So only answer is to clean it out and check operation.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by glen baker
had to have the egr deleted from the ecu cost £150 all done no more big clouds of black smoke now just have to replace glow plugs or relay engine code time ?

Where exactly are the glow plugs, can someone be kind enough to mark them on my engine please

Attached Thumbnails Voyager 2.5 CRD 2003 - EGR valve cleaning-engine.jpg  
Old 08-24-2015, 04:22 AM
kkc
Default location of glow plugs

1st from left is behind the alternator
2nd from left behind the power steering fluid bottle
3rd behind the exhaust intake just left of oil dipstick
4th behind and below the egr vacuum controller (that hing just to the right of the dipstick)

All are easy to access... just need to remove bits out of the way.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:43 PM

Just posted elsewhere I have stopped my EGR Valve working quite simply, cut the vac pipe from the servo, cut a piece of spill pipe or similar about 2 inches will do, push a ball bearing or similar half way up pipe rejoin cut vac pipe with spill pipe, the bearing stops the vac before it gets to the actuation valve on the front of the engine and to the casual eye nowt has been fiddled with, I have noticed a more flexible engine with a lot more get up and go, time will tell

AS said this will ot work if EGR Valve is partually stuck open.

One noticeable point, as the EGR water cooler no longer has hot exhaust running through it the engine runs cooler.

Quick Reply: Voyager 2.5 CRD 2003 - EGR valve cleaning