Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voyager 2.8 diesel thermostat location

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:23 AM
Default Voyager 2.8 diesel thermostat location

Hi all,

Just bought a 2004 Voyager which I'm very happy with. But it takes a very long time to warm up, and when it does the temp guage needle rarely gets above 1/4. Also when going downhill with my foot off the throttle the temp drops below a 1/4. Additionally output from the heating system is poor.

I'm guessing the thermostat in the cooling system is stuck open and needs replaced.

Has anyone done this? Where is the thermostat on the 2.8 diesel. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Hi
I take it the water level is staying up ok? Does the cabin heater work? (should have another little exhaust pipe by the sliding door). If the cabin heater is not working then this could be the fault. Thermostats do not fail often on these so I would check other possibles first. Should be the stat it's not a nice job, You have to pull all the wiper system out so you can get down the back even then it's not nice to get on all pipes. Not cheep too ask it comes as a complete housing.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Hi merlin,

Thanks for the info.

The cabin heater does work, I can hear it running when the light on the dash comes on.

Water level also seems ok, but i'll check it again tomorrow.

I was just looking through the recent service record, and see that the Radiator was replaced just 1000 miles ago. I wonder could the system have been refilled incorrectly and have air trapped somewhere? That could give the fluctuating temp indications. Are there any bleed valves on the engine.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:58 PM

UPDATE

It was indeed the Thermostat. The part is £127+VAT plus £4 for the gasket. As far as I could tell the part is a dealer only item. The part is the whole thermostat housing hence the price, the thermostat itself is not removable from the housing.

Merlin as you said It's a pig of a job (at least it is if you've never done it before). The thermostat is located behind the engine and to get it out requires the removal of the complete wiper module (the tray that contains the wiper motor and wiper mechanism) from the bulkhead to get (limited) access. Removing the wiper module is not as bad as it sounds....but getting the thermostat housing out is much more difficult than it sounds!.....its the lack of access to the 'stat that makes this job fiddly.

The engine is heating up properly now (nearly half on the temp guage) and the heating is working great. But not a job i'd want to do every day.