Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Voyager Gearbox Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Default Voyager Gearbox Confusion

Can someone possibly sort out my confusion, as you may have seen on other threads I have severe problems with the gearbox in my 2.5CRD Voyager, I phoned a local Garage that were a main agent for Chrysler for many years, I struck gold in the Parts chap, he was able to tell me by using the VIN Number that I am the proud father of a New Venture Gear Manual T850 box, ok so now I have established what the box is I have been Googling and found the Neon also has a T850 AND there is a service kit available for it, my question is, will the Neon box be similar and if not the same as a Voyager T850, I do know the chances are slim, but why use the same ref number for both boxes? obviously the case/bellhousing I presume will be different between the two engines??

Its latest trick is so severe vibration when reversing that I avoid reversing, so me thinks the first motion shaft is flopping around like a cucumber in a dustbin.

If I can get the bearings I will rebuild the box, hopefully probably yes

To buy a recon box just doesn't justify the cost re the value of the Car

Old 07-03-2016, 12:27 PM

John, if it is just the bearings that have failed, you should be able to get hold of identical bearings from any good bearing stockist. Your bearings should have a manufacturers name and part number stamped on them. A bearing stockist should be able to supply an exact replica using their conversion charts.

Last edited by AlanC; 07-03-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by AlanC
John, if it is just the bearings that have failed, you should be able to get hold of identical bearings from any good bearing stockist. Your bearings should have a manufacturers name and part number stamped on them. A bearing stockist should be able to supply an exact replica using their conversion charts.
Hi Alan, that was an answer I like, we used to have two very good Bearing suppliers here in Southampton, not being here for 6 years I will have to look them up, the box when driving does what it should with the gear change being pretty good, It is also apart from the horrendous chatter on idle and the reverse vibrate making a noise like an old Mini with no throttle in first so I believe that would be lay shaft bearings?

Old 07-03-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by John Norrish
Hi Alan, that was an answer I like, we used to have two very good Bearing suppliers here in Southampton, not being here for 6 years I will have to look them up, the box when driving does what it should with the gear change being pretty good, It is also apart from the horrendous chatter on idle and the reverse vibrate making a noise like an old Mini with no throttle in first so I believe that would be lay shaft bearings?
Hi John, I hope your diagnosis is correct and that the bearings haven't caused any damage to the casting. Good luck with your bearing search though I wouldn't have thought you would have any difficulty getting hold of some.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:03 PM

I will keep this post updated

Old 07-03-2016, 02:47 PM

The only thing is if the outer part of the bearing has been spinning in the gearbox housing the box will be scrap. But you have an interesting project ahead and I'm sure you will be centre stage.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
The only thing is if the outer part of the bearing has been spinning in the gearbox housing the box will be scrap. But you have an interesting project ahead and I'm sure you will be centre stage.
Hi, with my luck a bearing will have spun, not sure about the centre stage bit lol, I may leave stage left lol

Old 07-03-2016, 05:09 PM

New Venture was Chrysler's factory in Syracuse, New York where they built the 5 speed manual - the griff on the box and details are here but there's nothing on the 850 which does not surprise me as the site never shows Euro CRD's. Your would be a EuroVan (RG) 2.4L widely used in the London Cabs of the same vintage.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:51 AM

Well yesterday saw the gearbox removed, I had help from my Son in Law and Grandson, I pointed at what needed removing and they duly set about the removal, one early casualty with my Large breaker bar as the N/S C/V Nut gave way so did the breaker bar, so first thing this morning one 3/4 drive breaker bar purchased with a decent 3/4 to 1/2 inch reducer, don't want the reducer breaking!! with the bar out of action the O/S drive shaft nut could not be tackled, removing the gearbox and allowing the drive shaft to drop out was very very awkward due to the length left in the box, however we progressed, the pressure plate was removed to reveal a clutch well worn and a broken cushion spring, (Possible Juddering??) the release bearing was not able to move freely on its sleeve and possibly due to this the fingers on the Pressure plate and the face of the bearing are well worn, did find a plastic "Thing" in the bell housing which turned out to be the clip that stops the slave cylinder push rod from escaping in transit, looks like it was fitted with the clip left on, Hey ho, there was evidence of some sort of sealer oozing from the gearbox gaskets so possibly been apart before? I have found a chap that I thought had retired, he now runs his own Gearbox repair shop so the box is with him to see if the noise can be found, more on that later.

Also found what looks to be a Copper washer about 1/2 inch across and a bit of plastic off the pivot for the clutch fork, just the centre tip, the rest looks and feels sound so should be ok to put back.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:35 PM

All sounding good John. It should run like a dream when you get it back together. Plenty more trips to the South of France in the Old Girl yet. I'm off to Spain next month with the Good Lady, our daughter and 3 grand kids. We're doing 5 overnight stops on our way through France so it'll be a leisurely drive for me.

Quick Reply: Voyager Gearbox Confusion