Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voyager Gears - 2.5 CRD

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by adeel43
Can anyone advise what gearbox oil I should buy for a 2002 2.5crd manual.

Hoping regular changes will help the stiff nature of the box.

Seems to be conflicting advice all over the net!

Thanks
I have the same problem. gearbox loose when moved without cables but once reconnected its then stiff on the stick. just ordered a new cable from chrysler at a very mind blowing price of £143.00, for a cable, feel like ive been robbed but hoping it solves the problem.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM

The 2001 and on CRD's use ATF4 in the manual gearbox. The misunderstandings of oil are just down to ignorance of what an oil is. In fact ATF has the same viscosity as 10w-40 as too, believe it or not, does SAE75-90w the difference between them is what is added to the base stock which in turn defines their final application. I already covered at the outset of this thread why you cannot use normal gearbox oil in these cars so won't go into it again. Chrysler decided to use ATF4 in the newer cars in order to give longer change intervals but it still needs to be changed as it too will in time lose it's sheer protection.

I seriously doubt that cables are likely to be your issue as the shift mechanism simply does not produce enough force on a tensile stranded cable to stretch it but of changing it makes a difference then good for you.

Last edited by glowplug; 06-18-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Default chrysler gearbox

Originally Posted by glowplug
The 2001 and on CRD's use ATF4 in the manual gearbox. The misunderstandings of oil are just down to ignorance of what an oil is. In fact ATF has the same viscosity as 10w-40 as too, believe it or not, does SAE75-90w the difference between them is what is added to the base stock which in turn defines their final application. I already covered at the outset of this thread why you cannot use normal gearbox oil in these cars so won't go into it again. Chrysler decided to use ATF4 in the newer cars in order to give longer change intervals but it still needs to be changed as it too will in time lose it's sheer protection.

I seriously doubt that cables are likely to be your issue as the shift mechanism simply does not produce enough force on a tensile stranded cable to stretch it but of changing it makes a difference then good for you.
I contacted chrysler at bristol street motors and they told me that when they do gearbox oil changes they use 75w 90??? Which is what is in my gearbox now.:

Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Oh excellent, how brilliant, good luck with that one mate. Please come back and report once your gear box becomes really stiff and your synchro mesh goes for a ball of chaulk.

Let me let you into a little science secret here

Gearbox oil has Sulphur in it which is what makes it stink. This is the prime additive that makes gearbo oil EP (extreme pressure) and was done primarily for use in DiFFs. Now GL5 has the most GL4 slighy less but both have it.

Now in your gearbox your synchro mesh uses yellow metals. This refers to any metal with a copper constituate. Now mix sulphur with copper, add a little heat and you get ......... remember your school science ????? .... yep CUS04 or copper sulphate. Let me put it in laymans terms. IT is going to MELT your synchromesh. But please don't take my word for it in a few thousand miles maybe more maybe less your symptoms will start to appear.

Your geatbox is made by a German company called Getrag, email them and ask.

Also look here
http://www.sk-falcon.sk/oleje/elf/Tabulka_ELF.pdf

Best of luck

Last edited by glowplug; 06-21-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Why are Chrysler using it then? So should I drain it and use ATF 4 then? Will it need to be flushed? Only just got the Chrysler and starting to regret it already.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 AM

Tony I must tell you it is very frustrating helping people who don't help themselves. Why did you pose this question without searching this particular thread first. Surely the title of it must have tipped you off that someone had the same issue once before and that just possibly it had been answered then. First page user actd confirmed that he had used MOPAR ATF+4 with a change interval of 20K miles. Also you will find responses from me at that same time.

However let me be a bit more verbose now. As I said back then I am not going to make specific recommendations because I don't want you blaming me when a gearbox that very obviously has been compromised fails. What I will outline is what I would do if I owned your car. Before I start however let me ask, in way of an answer to you last question, have you EVER come across a mechanic in your ENTIRE life that you felt was a particular shining star at Chemistry in high school or any science for that matter ??? Hmmmm....yes Automechanics is such brain taxing job that it is a small wonder that Universities are not falling over themselves to make it a BSC degree course.

OK sarcasm over

IF I owned you car I would

1. Search the Internet for the GENUINE Chrysler Workshop manual which I might just find here

Index of /pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/2001_RG_Town&Country_Caravan_Voyager

2. I would download the largest file as it was probably the FULL manual and it would be called 01RGEE.PDF

3. I would probably search that manual until I found the section that dealt with my particular 2.5CRD diesel transmission which I may just find at section 21a and would notice that my transmission was called the T850 manual transaxle

4. I would then proceed to see if there was a SPECIFICATIONS section that might allude to what fluid CHRYSLER (the guys that actual made the car) suggested and hey presto I may just find that on page 21a-37

5. Low and behold I may just find my answer "ATF+4 (Automatic Transmission Fluid—Type 9602)" - By the way this means MOPAR which is Chryslers own brand but you can find oils that "Conform to MOPAR ATF+4 specifications" (reality is Chrysler don't and never have made oil they just re-brand but for peace of mind I may want to buy theirs AND use the right quantity)

Now because I was actually very interested in Science at school and do understand the properties of oil and what is known as SHEAR protection I would apply this knowledge and ensure that not only did I use what the manufacturer suggests but I would also replace that oil EVERY 18 - 20K miles (closer to 18 than 20) RELIGIOUSLY - It is not a hard job.

Furthermore I would be inclined to get the 75-90W oil out my gearbox as fast as humanely possible, install the correct oil, run it for 1000 miles, drain it again and then follow the 18K mile change religiously after that.

Now let me conclude with the following. You may ask yourself "why have I never had to do this in a car before". Well the answer is not that many cars use yellow metals in their synchromesh and therefore the majority can quite happily use SAE75-90W oil. As that oil is EP it will last a VERY long time, generally the life of the car. So then why are Chryslers affected (buy the way they are not the only ones). Well Americans aren't big on manual transmissions (stick shift as they call it) BUT when they start selling their cars over here they need to do two things

1. Fit them with diesel engines - so they chose to use an Italian BOAT engine made by VM-Motori

2. Fit them with manual transmissions - made by Germans - Getrag

Chances are they went to tender and chose the cheapest supplier of each.

These are DAMN good cars but like all cars have their issues. If you are armed with the knowledge of what those issues are you can have many years of good service.

Cheers

Last edited by glowplug; 06-22-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by glowplug
It is normal for them to be a bit notchy when cold but NEVER stiff. Stiffness can mean either

a. The Synchro hubs are going
b. The wrong oil has been fitted and the box is now baulking

Do as actd has said and do it now.
Dear Glowplug
I bought your green voyager around 4 years ago. maybe 5.
I have got a grand voyager now (2.5 crd , 2001 ), with some gearbox issue. I wonder if I could speak to you about that.
I would really appreciate your help.
Regards
Mark , 07539268180