Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm Air Conditioning?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Default Warm Air Conditioning?!

Hey guys, I've been looking around all over the internet to find the solution to my problem, but to no avail. I stumbled upon this wonderful forum, registered, and am looking to see what you guys think the problem might be.

We went on a trip this past weekend, and after about 45 minutes to an hour on the interstate, the AC slowly began to warm up to the point where it was just as effective as the blower alone. After stopping at a convenience store for a few minutes, it started blowing cold air again for about 20 minutes. This continued after a couple more stops, until we began to recognize the pattern and simply turned off the compressor when it started to warm, and turned it back on 5-10 minutes later and enjoyed cold air for a few more minutes. The hour and a half ride back home was not very enjoyable this way, especially when it's 85 degrees in a humid climate.

What could I do to fix this?

The details: 2005 Town & Country Limited. 92,000mi. The compressor was replaced last month due to a warped alternator shaft wearing out bearings within the components along the accessory belt. Condensation seems to leak more than normal after parking. All three AC zones are on when this happens.

I read a number of posts from all over complaining about the rear evaporator, although I don't believe the symptoms point to that (and the evaporator on this vehicle isn't exposed like the 06-07 models).

This is similar to what is happening. Too bad there isn't a solution on that thread.

My theory is that the coils are freezing up... but what do I need to do? We'll be going on another trip this weekend and would really like to have this fixed before then.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:46 PM

My theory is that the coils are freezing up...
You got it..........The evaporators are Icing over. When you shut it down, they melt, the moisture is expelled thru the drains, and all is normal unti it starts over.

Bottom line,...Its low on Freon...

Who put the compressor on? Who charged it and How was it charged??? you will also note on Dual systems, the label has 2 specs..for single, or Dual units. You have the classic symptoms for using the wrong spec....

Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 PM

Great. Well at least something's not broken! (though it could be low on freon because something's broken...)

Express Oil Change installed the new compressor and the invoice says the system was recharged. We've been having problems with the guys over at this particular branch lately anyway... Since the new part is under warranty they should cover it.

When you say Dual systems, what are you referring to? Front and rear systems? How can I make sure they use the correct spec? How would I find the spec?

Thanks Djinn-n-Tonic!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Front and rear systems?
Exactly....
How can I make sure they use the correct spec? How would I find the spec?
Its on a Label, either on the underside of the hood, or on the radiator support. I believe it is light blue in color, but I could be wrong, or ...white with a yellow stripe. It will say r134A...Pag oil, Charge . single unit....charge dual unit..and a bunch of Numbers...

THe problem lies here......You CANT KNOW what was used without sucking it out and measuring it. This is done with a charging/recovery station, so Unless you have one in the driveway,,you are out of luck.....(Of course you dont have one, because if you did, You would already know the answer..)

Take it back and raise hell......

Old 04-26-2011, 02:34 PM

To bad you do not live close to me as I just purchased a A/C 134a complete 3 hose 2 guage manifold system for $45 and I know where a vacuum pump is available for under $20 although It says it is for vacuuming A/C systems to remove moisture I have not personally tested its vacuum to be sure it is not someone blowing smoke seeing how that seems way to cheap, But anyway regardless I could use one I have acess to from a CO2 LASER which I can guarantee if left to run longer then 20 min wouldprobably suck the seals out of your Compressor and crush your evaporator and condensor so I know for a fact it has enough vacuum and I could hook you up if you bought the seal kit to replace on all the connections throughout vehicle and the R134A freaon and any other misc. items needed.
You don't happen to live close to portland, Or do you?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Default 2000 Sebring JXi

I'm having the opposite problem.

When I'm idling in the afternoon, the car a/c blows hot and when I'm driving it blows cold (sometimes). In the morning though, it always blows cold. The freon is full and the compressor is engaging.

I read somewhere that if the fan doesn't start up right away when the car is started, it could be causing the problem???

Any ideas?