Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

What to do about an intermittant problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Default What to do about an intermittant problem.

I have a 2010 T & C, Walter P.Chrysler Edition. Over all, I've been very satisfied with it, but it has been manifesting an intermittant problem that I cannot duplicate at the dealership.

At least a couple of times a week, the radio, which is the 430 model with the 30 gig hard drive, fails to completely boot up. I start the van, and the radio will show the U-Connect screen, and just hang there. The radio usually plays and I can adjust the volume, but nothing else. Usually turning off the car and restarting once or twice will restore it and if I just drive for a while, it will sometimes, but not always finish booting up.

If I push the volume button during the time it's showing the U-Connect screen, anywhere from one to five minutes later, it will turn off. If I press the button again, it may, or may not turn back on after a similar period of time, but it then usually only shows the U-Connect screen and will only completely reboot when I turn off the key and restart the vehicle.

At other times, after starting the van, the screen just stays blank, (black), although the radio usually plays in whatever mode it was in when I shut the van off. I can adjust the volume but nothing else. It also demonstrates the same behavior if I push the on-off button. It shuts off the radio after a wait of one to five minutes and then when I push the button again, it will restart after some random time. Occasionally it will boot all the way up from this state, but usually not.

I have never been able to make this happen at the dealership. I've tried to take it in three times after this has happened, but it always starts working before I get there. I've left it with them twice for a day, and they always say it works fine whenever they try it.

The dealership appears genuine in it's desire to help, but they say they cannot fix something if they don't know what the problem is..., and that makes a certam amount of sense, but, is there some process or procedure for problems of this kind? I cannot be the only person who's had a problem like this, if not the exact same problem.

Are the radios in these vans prone to this kind of problem? I really don't know what to do next. Should I try another dealer? The next closest dealer is inconvenient to go to.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 AM

08-014-10 Radio Locks Up

08-001-11 REV. A RER, REW, REP Radio Software Enhancements
08-028-10 REV. A RBZ Radio Software Enhancements

Look at the lower right corner of the readio face plate...there will be 3 letters , usually starting with an "R"....

Google the red numbers I've posted for the correct letter sequence , print the bulletin and take it to the dealer with you.

They all involve a software update to the radio......

Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Default Answer for intermittant problem.

Thanks for the information about the service bulletins! I'm wondering why the dealer never mentioned them when I brought the van in. I'll ask him when I take it in. It appears that the first one you list is the one that covers the problems I'm having.

I'm also somewhat disappointed in the quality of the display on the back-up camera. It's good at night..., but during the day, the display is so dim in sunlight that the camera is practically useless.

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM

but during the day, the display is so dim in sunlight that the camera is practically useless.
Welcome to the wonderful worlld of Hi -DEF???? Dont expect too much satisfaction on that one, They all suffer from some degree of Picture quality in daylight conditions.

As for the dealer not mentioning the service bulletins......Either he is an Idiot who couldnt be bothered looking it up for you, or the letters on the r/s lower corner dont match....If they dont match , then the bulletin doesnt apply. Upgrading software may help, but NEVER UPDATE SOFTWARE THAT DOESNT SPECIFICALLY STATE THE CORRECT APPLICATION.......That is a disaster waiting to happen. Only install the software that is specifically designed for your radio. The dealer will know how to access the version number and select the correct application.