Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels - safety and legalization

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Talking Wheels - safety and legalization

I'm thinking of putting 18-inch wheels on my Chrysler Voyager, which originally had 16-inch wheels, can anyone tell me if Chrysler guarantees compliance and gives permission for its legalization?

Old 10-24-2018, 12:51 PM

Not sure what you mean by "legalization" as I don't believe changing the wheels is a legal issue. However, make sure that your wheel/tire combo is the same diameter as the original. This means if you get a wheel 2 inches wider, you need a tire to go on it with a sidewall that's 2 inches narrower. If you put on a larger wheel and tire combo, it will throw off your speedometer and could mess up your suspension, and various other safety items such as the ABS, which depend upon calculating speed by multiplying tire circumference by rotational speed. Just be aware that as you get wider wheels and narrower sidewalls you will experience an increasingly rough ride.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:00 AM

In the U.K., don't know about Portugal, most insurance companies will interpret this as a modification to the vehicle and should be declared, or risk invalidating your policy.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:55 AM

in portugal, not all legalization has to do with safety, if you pay legalization, is legalized before the law, but insurers can dismiss the responsibility, and throw the legalization for the brand or owner of the vehicle, what I want to know isif you change the height and not the width of the rims if the safety changes and if the mark does not advise the change ...

Old 10-25-2018, 11:57 AM

this is what I want to take into account, but above that, I want to know if it is safety risk for the vehicle and passengers this change

Old 10-25-2018, 06:16 PM

With the correct offset of the wheels you want to use, and a tire size of most likely needing to be a 235/45R18. They would be safe, BUT you'll have a jarring harsh ride over rough roads, as the tire sidewall will be quite short. What year is your Voyager?

Old 10-26-2018, 02:23 PM

Insurance:--
If you make such a modification, you will certainly be at least charged extra. This is a major modification to the steering, and will be considered possibly dangerous. The cost of insuring a G.V. is high enough already, as I know to my cost (i.e. £875pa). Turns out the price is the same as for a Ford Transit. With all the G.Vs. seats down, the load carrying of a G.V. is near the same as a Transit, and as far as I can make out this is why the G.V. is insurance-expensive.
Leedsman.
p.s. An insurance company can refuse to pay out if a modified vehicle is involved in an accident, and there is very little in practice you can do about it, a steering mod. is
a likely candidate for a refusal. The usual steering angles, castor, camber, toe-out etc. will not be quite right. The real point here is that you should not give an insurance company any excuse to wriggle out of responsibility when you have paid all that money out.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Insurance:--
If you make such a modification, you will certainly be at least charged extra. This is a major modification to the steering, and will be considered possibly dangerous. The cost of insuring a G.V. is high enough already, as I know to my cost (i.e. £875pa). Turns out the price is the same as for a Ford Transit. With all the G.Vs. seats down, the load carrying of a G.V. is near the same as a Transit, and as far as I can make out this is why the G.V. is insurance-expensive.
Leedsman.
p.s. An insurance company can refuse to pay out if a modified vehicle is involved in an accident, and there is very little in practice you can do about it, a steering mod. is
a likely candidate for a refusal. The usual steering angles, castor, camber, toe-out etc. will not be quite right. The real point here is that you should not give an insurance company any excuse to wriggle out of responsibility when you have paid all that money out.
EXCUSE ME?? There are no such changes to the steering as you describe. Don't know about in the UK(and care not to), BUT rim diameter changes (within reason)are done here in the USA all the time and other than for accident loss, if not written on the policy, you will be reimbursed for original equipment parts. Although with the holed roads in the majority of my travels I tend to stay with the 16" rims of my 04T&C(USA) due to plenty of sidewall height of the 65 series tire for more "shock absorption" when hitting those holes and not risking damaging a larger dia. rim.
NOT knowing the rear of the OP's ride, here in the USA the minivans did get larger dia. rims in later(08+),

Old 10-26-2018, 05:24 PM

Use a calc for offset etc.

Hey Leedsman I've just paid £236 a year for my GV to Hastings Essentials. Make sure they cancel the terrifying CPA (continuous payment authority) which they sneak into the small print without telling you.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
Use a calc for offset etc.

Hey Leedsman I've just paid £236 a year for my GV to Hastings Essentials. Make sure they cancel the terrifying CPA (continuous payment authority) which they sneak into the small print without telling you.
My latest insurance went down from £220 to £185 on an 04 GV fully comp.
I bought new wheels about 18 months ago because the original had been refurbished once and looked bad. I got 18s with the appropriate tyres and I have never noticed any change in ride comfort. I still use the old ones for the winter as they still have good tyres.
As to affecting camber/ caster or any other angles; that is not so.

JJ.

Quick Reply: Wheels - safety and legalization