Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

When I step on the break ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Default RE: When I step on the break ...

Your rotors are worn out.
If a tie rod gets to the point where the wheel shakes bad, get ready for a crash event.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:58 PM

it cost to much to change?
thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 07:04 PM

when I call to ask the price wich name should I give to the store? just rotors? no other name?
thanks again

Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM

I notice that its like 1/4 inch loose right on point A on picture attach, looks like inside on the Steering Gear Assembly.
Some guy told me Rotors, is that right? to buy this part what should I be looking for? whats the right name if possoble part #.
Is not the Steering Gear Assembly it self right ?
I'm sure its not the brake rotors if you mean that, because when I brake it doesn't shake. Its when the van are stoped I check the wheel with my hands and I see that its little lose the whell, When I look under its loose inside the Steering Gear Assembly .

Old 02-19-2008, 01:50 AM

there are ball joints (tie rod end assembly, on your picture) on both ends of the steering rack.
check both ends (I explained procedure above) for freeplay. usually, only one of them is faulty and then you have something to compare.
if the freeplay is bigger on one side then another (in fact, therer shouldn't be any freeplay), that ball joint needs replacement.
also, it is mandatory to optically allign your front wheels after mounting new ball joint.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:04 AM

ORIGINAL: jquinones

I notice that its like 1/4 inch loose right on point A on picture attach, looks like inside on the Steering Gear Assembly.
Some guy told me Rotors, is that right? to buy this part what should I be looking for? whats the right name if possoble part #.
Is not the Steering Gear Assembly it self right ?
I'm sure its not the brake rotors if you mean that, because when I brake it doesn't shake. Its when the van are stoped I check the wheel with my hands and I see that its little lose the whell, When I look under its loose inside the Steering Gear Assembly .

like the ball joint on the outside, there is a ball joint on the inside of the steering rack, on the other end of tie rod.
it's placed just underneath that ruubber harmonic (A section on your pic) and it's a bit of a fuss to replace.

you need some knowledge of machanics and some tools to be able to DIY, so go to the service and tell them about your problem.
I don't know the name of that specific part.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 PM

You can only change the outer tie rod ends on that van, if the inner tie rod ends are defective, the steering rack has to be replaced.
Outer tie rods are easy to change.
Use "Moog" brand parts, they are identical in size to old parts. Some replacement parts sold by dicount auto parts stores are made in China, they are smaller in size, use a different size nut(smaller). They will work, but an alignment will be mandatory.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:24 PM

"I WONDER" it is exactly like you describe, it’s this ball joint that goes inside.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 AM

ORIGINAL: jquinones

"I WONDER" it is exactly like you describe, it’s this ball joint that goes inside.
I'm glad it helped.

now tell me. is it true that you had to replace the whole tie rod, or just the inner ball joint?

Old 03-07-2008, 04:54 PM

inner only
thanks a lot