Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Whistle in my new 1 week old T & C

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:17 AM
Question The Whistle in my new 1 week old T & C

Ok, so we took her out for a good break in 300mi. round trip......very quiet on the highway, heard nothing, but when fully warm and moving in stop and go traffic I started to hear this faint whilstling sound coming in and out....like a tea kettle. Obviously more noticable at slower speeds... hearing it more as the van would decellerate to a stop....???

When I came home I pulled into my garage where the sound was contained and heard it clear as a bell, coming in and out as I pressed the throttle.... Opened the driver's door and heard it less ??? (hearing all the other motor chatter).... seems to be coming somewhere through the drivers side of the firewall......?

Let it sit for an hour .... started it up again..(was still partially warm)....and "Nothing"...???

It did this repeatedly all day as we started and stopped occassionally ...

Now "I Can't Be The Only One With A 2011-13 That Has This"...!?!??

Thought maybe someone has wrestled with the "whistling teapot" before me that could help me with isolating this problem, because you know I'm going to go back to the dealer and they're going to say...."Oh no,....it's supposed to do that..." Yeah right...!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Default Whistling while dancing in the rain..

Oh sorry Gene Kelly...
A whistle from a turbo engine usually relates to an air leak on the trunking/pipework between turbo and Cylinder Head.
I have read some people advising this as the Turbo working properly and the Whistle is the turbo vanes hitting the sound barrier. Yes and no. As anyone listening to an HST power car with the Valetta engine in Britain as it accelerates away from a station, it whistles, but from the exhaust take note, and yes its the Turbo Vanes as stated.
So you seem to have a leak, but from where. Check rubber Charge air pipework for not been fitted properly or splits.
Goggs.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Default Not a Turbo...that's for sure.....

The whistling is faint like a tea kettel and can be heard when the van is fully warmed up, it's intermittent though. The other night my wife drove a 1/2 hr. Home, pulled in the garage...I listened....no whistle. I kept fooling around reving the throttle lightly, and changing the interior climate settings listening for a change. All of a sudden there it was, but no matter what I turned on or off I couldn't get rid of it.......so I shut the van off, waited about 30 seconds and started it again......and suddenly....gone...!!!

This one's gonna be a real mystery and take me a while unless someone else who hears this can figure it out....

Thanks for the help..!