Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

White smoke

Old 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Smile White smoke

Hi, just bought a Grand Voyager 2.8CRD Limited. the car is fine except one issue, when i have been sat in traffic etc, and i pull away there is a cloud of white smoke, and i have noticed that the longer i sit, the more white smoke there is.
but, after i have driven a short distance, the smoke seems to go.
i have changed the fuel filter, but it made no difference.
any ideas would be appriciated. thanks, Dean.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM

A typical symptom of a leaking head gasket on gasoline engines. Probably applies to diesels too. Coolant level down? Possibly lacking acceleration? Water/coolant is leaking into the cylinders past the head gasket and being burned along with fuel. Get this fixed asap before you do any further damage.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 09-06-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Completly agree with Raptor.

White smoke is normally a sign of coolant getting into the engine somehow. This is often from leaking head gasket.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 AM

Hi, thanks for the replies. If it is the head gasket (getting it checked next week!) wouldn't it be smoking all the time, and wouldn't my fluids (oil or water) be dropping?
Also, just today a new "symptom" has raised its head. Driving home, the engine died. And after trying to start it again, it wouldn't start, as if it had run out of fuel ( over half tank) then after trying to start it about 10 - 15 times, it just fired up.
Thank you in advance,
Den.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 AM

The gasket my only allow coolant into the engine once its hot and expands. This could be a very low amount of coolant (unless there are plumes of white smoke)

Old 09-19-2012, 05:49 PM

i had a similar issue turned out to be a crack/porus on one of the inlet tubes on the head mine only smoked randomly

Old 09-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Default Head Gasket

White smoke is steam. Period. I have, in the past, had head gaskets so bad that the coolant got into the oil. Pull the stick. Does the oil look milky?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 AM

Have you solved your white smoke issues? It CAN also be that one of your injectors is failing. If the engine gets gasoline injected into one or maybe even more cylinders all the time due to failing injector it gives white smoke on the exhaust as well. Injector is relatively easy to change yourself and there's even a video available in youtube where they change injector to a Dodge (Grand)Caravan, if I remember correctly.

You probably have already solved this issue, but in case not, you might want to consider the faulty injector option as well.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by wc80
Have you solved your white smoke issues? It CAN also be that one of your injectors is failing. If the engine gets gasoline injected into one or maybe even more cylinders all the time due to failing injector it gives white smoke on the exhaust as well. Injector is relatively easy to change yourself and there's even a video available in youtube where they change injector to a Dodge (Grand)Caravan, if I remember correctly.

You probably have already solved this issue, but in case not, you might want to consider the faulty injector option as well.
And now that I take a closer look on the original post, I notice it's a diesel..

Old 12-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Hi Dean

If the smoke is more grey than white then see my previous thread.

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...ke-idle-18243/

If the smoke really is white then this is usually unburnt diesel, the smoke is acrid and almost stings your eyes and is a "mucky" white. To me this only happened at cold or idle when it is very cold. I've also had this problem which was caused by a faulty glowplug relay.

You don't say how many miles the voyager has done, if its over 100k I would suspect the injectors. Mine where really bad, see thread above Of course, not saying it couldn't be another problem, this is just my experience

Hope this helps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White smoke