1997 Cirrus

Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Default 1997 Cirrus

Just bought it a few weeks ago.
I have a 97' Cirrus (163k) after a friend help me change the alternator/battery, I drove it around for a good 40 minutes to see if the CEL would come back on. It didn't so my friend told me the alternator probably was causing a sensor to fail. Went to emissions I passed.

Its hesitates to start, but still does. Every time I drive it (haven't for a while) In lower speeds it will be rough. Higher speeds it will be just fine.

Friday is when the plugs/wires will get change. Will the whole intake need taken off or just the one part? (Sorry not very good with part names)

Googling the symptoms it can be a few other things..

Ignition coil
Fuel pump

Let me know what you think. Please a little advice would be great.

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM

If it's the V6 you'll have to take The upper intake manifold off (don't forget there are 2 bolts on either side, back by the firewall). You'll need to get a new gasket for when you put it back on. I used a Haynes manual when I did mine. It isn't very difficult work. there's just a lot of stuff to unhook. You should also replace the distributor cap and rotor, while you have the manifold off. It will be much easier. Good luck!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by myke212
If it's the V6 you'll have to take The upper intake manifold off (don't forget there are 2 bolts on either side, back by the firewall). You'll need to get a new gasket for when you put it back on. I used a Haynes manual when I did mine. It isn't very difficult work. there's just a lot of stuff to unhook. You should also replace the distributor cap and rotor, while you have the manifold off. It will be much easier. Good luck!
Thank you for responding! Much appreciate it!

Just changed the plugs, the wires look great. No tears, not faded etc.
Put a throttle position sensor on as well. (Old one came up on CEL)

After changing the plugs car will not start. Starting fluid doesn't even do the job. It will crank but will not start.

The spark plugs are still getting a spark.

I will change the gasket, distributor/rotor tomorrow.

I've been Googling a lot and my guesses are either the crankshaft position sensor or camshaft sensor is bad? If the car still wont start after the distributor/rotor are changed.