96 Cirrus v6 random intermittent stall

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Default RE: 96 Cirrus v6 random intermittent stall

Look at my posts - that's exactly what my car was doing, idle dropped real low and
sometimes stalling. First I tried cleaning the throttle body by spraying cleaner inside,
didn't help, so I removed it and the back looked like I never sprayed anything in it.
Clean it and replace the the solenoid thats mounted it that meters the air flow.
You will note the solenoid has a cone that seals the air flow - it will be gummed up..

You will need a new gasket for the throttle body - I had to order it - no one had it
in stock.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Default RE: 96 Cirrus v6 random intermittent stall

Look at my posts. It was the EGR valve. When I negated this valve, the problem went away, and has not returned in 7 months.

I ask everyone this: What harm am I doing to the car by not replacing the EGR valve? I know all about recycling exhaust fumes to make emissions better, so please don't preach about this. If anyone has an answer to my specific question, then answer please. Seems to me I'm getting slightly better gas mileage while not using this valve. Also, a buddy of mine who has the same model car as mine recently took his engine out of his Cirrus. In taking the engine slightly apart, he realized that the EGR only takes exhause from ONE cylinder for recycling. That sort of seems bogus big time to me! What about the other 5 cylinders? Are we just pushing the exhaust out of those, without doing any sort of recycling? If so, then I'm laughing.

Please, someone, or a few, enlighten me on all that I've asked.

Thanks so much.......................rob

Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Default RE: 96 Cirrus v6 random intermittent stall (fixed our problem)

I've been researching this since my son bought his cirrus 2001 a couple months ago. It would randomly stall at least once or twice a day on his 60 min round trip to work. Not a big deal at a red light or in town but I was worried because it happened on the highway at 65 MPH. Not good to be in the passing lane with a stalled car. We tried several things ( cleaning the manifold etc...) No help.

2 weeks ago I replaced the Crankshaft sensor and it hasn't stalled since. The project only requires that you remove the air supply hose into the manifold and a couple other things that are in the way. Still it was a pain because the sensor is way down underneath. I couldn't locate it for a couple days. Took about 2 hours, and a couple scraped up hands. When we put it together the car would barely start... puffed smoke out of the intake manifold. I decided to take everything apart and reinstall the part. Funny how it only took 30 minutes the second time. This time my son held the sensor in from underneath while I tightened it. It's been working great since then.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Not meaning to bring back the dead but, my car did the same and i replaced the egr and spark plugs, and i have a weird flapping sound near the egr, does this mean it is a bad one

Old 08-03-2013, 02:52 AM

Same issues with my 98 Cirrus 2,5. Tried a lot and no solution. It can not be the EGR as I disconnected and did the same. Same with IAC sensor. Now I am waiting for Throttle Position Sensor. Hopefully will solve the issue.
I am running on gas and also LPG and have same symptoms.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Profu
Same issues with my 98 Cirrus 2,5. Tried a lot and no solution. It can not be the EGR as I disconnected and did the same. Same with IAC sensor. Now I am waiting for Throttle Position Sensor. Hopefully will solve the issue.
Have you tried replacing the distributor itself?? Maybe that would be something to look into. Never(knock on wood) had this problem and still to this day don't but changed the distributor last spring(for a cylinder misfire, which, in turn, was a clogged fuel injector, FAIL). The dealership told my that the 98's were very well known for bad distributors. Hope this will help if the Throttle Sensor doesn't.

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited by cirrus98; 08-04-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Forgot some information
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Profu
I just replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and it seems OK. Today didn't stop, but I was driving a short distance. Have to see next days. Anyway, the idle rotation is steady, no fluctuation whatsoever. I shall come back with updates.