Forum Issues Need help with Chrysler Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better Chrysler Forum? Tell us here.

'06 Sebring locks out when car is on

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Question '06 Sebring locks out when car is on

My '06 Sebring Touring sedan convertible is a joy....except that I have gotten out with the keys in ignition, engine running and shut the door to remove snow from the windshield....and I'm locked out in the snow with nothing but a snow scraper in my hand.

I would rather not keep a key in a box under the car....I'm in a city and would not want my car and computer and cell phone and garmen stolen along with the car.

I'm hoping there is a way to solve this problem without having to implant a key on my body or wear it on a chain around my neck!

Anyone know about this?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 PM

I'm in a city and would not want my car and computer and cell phone and garmen stolen along with the car.
Ok ...so....where are you parked ??? And That was a computer , a cell phone and a Garmin CORRECT??? I'll be right there..

Now..Seriously...

In the old days, carried my trunk key in my wallet, and had an ignition key stuck to one of the speaker magnets in the trunk. I could always get into the car, If I lost my keys, or locked them inside.

With Those days long gone , and since theft deterrent keys your options are limited, but not immpossible.

What I suggest to my customers in your situation is this.....

Your Vehicle is equipped with a "SKIM" style theft deterrent, which means only a "Programmed key" will start your vehicle. The old style "BLACK TOP" keys are NOT skim compatible, But The "Blanks" are the same. Cut a plain old key From a hardware store....This will unlock the doors, but NOT start the car.

This "NON-Starting" key can now be placed in a box under the car, or carried in your pocket, or ....HANG IT from the bottom of the ICE scraper..

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 01-30-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Great answer! Just what I was hoping for...the non starting key for my black top Sebring. Thanks!

Yes, I'm a convertible junkie but I still have to carry my work stuff in my car - put what I can in the trunk during the work day.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 PM

Yes, I'm a convertible junkie
Since you mentioned it......

You do realize , that anything left in the car in plain sight..........

No-one will search for a hidden lock box to get into the car and steal your stuff.........A razor knife across the roof is much faster and much more efficient I'm afraid....

Old 01-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Duh! You are right of course. I do not leave things in plain sight...I worry more about the car being stolen If I leave a key under the body.