Forum Issues Need help with Chrysler Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better Chrysler Forum? Tell us here.

2002 pt cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Unhappy 2002 pt cruiser

i have a 02 pt cruiser. it doesn't want to start it just turns over. It shows code p 0601 and p1389. I replaced the pcm with a used one but car turns over but pulls code p 1684 and 1685. can someone please help.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

do u have a gray key? did u put the same pcm part number that cam out of the car?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Default 2002 pt cruiser

yes i have a greyish color key that has the chrysler logo on it and the pcm number matches the old one that i replaced.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM

i have a grey key and i checked to make sure the pcm numbers matched the old one and they do match.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

ok well now U have possible 2 issues one is that the used PCM u put in has a gray key already programed to it and it will never work with yours or B u have a pcm that did not have a gray key the pcm now sees that it has a gray key and needs to be programed to itself so either way u look at it U need a dealer to program the skim or they will tell U that U need a brand new pcm because once a pcm is programed with a gray key they cant be changed.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 PM

thanks for the info. i will take my car to the dealership tomorrow. hope everything goes well. thanks alot for the help.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Smile 2002 pt cruiser

thank you for the help. i took my car to the dealership and they had to program the key and the pcm.my car now runs like i did before. thanks

Old 08-22-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by tana
thank you for the help. i took my car to the dealership and they had to program the key and the pcm.my car now runs like i did before. thanks

And to think that people call them Stealerships.... What would the scenario have been if you took it to PepBoys?

Glad to hear your story had a happy ending

Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

I dont know about U Tenn I have worked in both dealer and aftermarket shops and both have there ups and downs. The dealer some times cost more per hour then other shops. U haft to see it both ways one they cost more because they send us to training and haft to buy special tools to work on this stuff or Chrysler wont pay for the warranty and u know as well as I do the training and special tools arnt cheap by no means. The training gives us inside to what makes the cars tick and how to work on them better with out guess work. Even though we still have hacks in every shop.

The aftermarket shops will have good and bad guys just the same some know alot about a little and some will know a llittle about alot. There is no training in after market shops but the stupid ASE's oh boy take a test every 5 years and see if U know what U know about a GM car. Anything learned in there U learn it by a top tech that has been around for awhile and pass the info down the line. This is an age old crap that wont go away. I wish that we could implement a program at the dealer or shops that will show in a graph or something like that to a potentiality paying cust what a tech can do and what his training is so they can pick who they want to work on there car. This would give less come backs make the people that have spent many many years doing this there do worth and force the younger crowd to step up there game and get good at there jobs. Instead we deal with favoritism and who kisses who *** the best the new guys get the 30ks and light BS work and when it has been around teh whole shop for an issue no one can figure out they had it to the guy it should have gone to in the first place and have it taken care of.

This is why I am my own boss now if it does not get done I am the only one to blame.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by tana

did they charge you for this? I am having the same problem and my car just dies while driving it but thats the only code i get p 1684 and p 1685 i already know p 1684 is within the last 50 starts the battery has been disconnected but i need to figure out how to get rid of the p 1685 so the car will stop dying on me

Quick Reply: 2002 pt cruiser