Forum Issues Need help with Chrysler Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better Chrysler Forum? Tell us here.

How can this happen??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Default How can this happen??

'03 T&C with 86K mostly highway miles. 3.8L with 41TE trans. The transmission developed an oil leak at the driver's retainer differential bearing cup. It seems that the oil baffle inside the bearing cup keeps being eaten up after a few miles.
The transmission works fine otherwise, but a couple of attempts by a Chrysler dealer failed to stop the leak. Now he tells me the "whole under carriage moved and that is not worth to rebuild only a new one will fix my problem... $4,100. "
I am in disbelief that whatever moved on the final drive can not be re-tightened again. Did the bearing wore out? maybe the bearing and the bearing cup wore out?
I have been trying to find a solution since last year, cant find an answer anywhere. Nobody seems to have heard of something like this.
Any help resolving this issue will be greatly appreciated since I will never be able to afford a new trani (choice of either a new trani or the house). HELP!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 PM

I have removed the bearing cup holder and I have a small piece of video showing that I can move the bearing and bearing shaft very easy. I just dont know how to upload them to show them in this posting. I really need to know if that movement is normal. Any help determining if this transmission has to go or can stay will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Default fixed

bough the tools on ebay and shimmed the bearing race (bearing cup) until the bearing rested snuggly on the race (cup). checked that the turning torque of that final drive was not excessive (not more than 18lbs, not less than 5).
Good since, added 600 miles without a trans noise or glitch.
I Asked the dealer to perform this job, that I was responsible if it failed, that I only wanted this bearing race to be shimmed and torqued properly and they basically said i was stupid and that the entire undercarriage moved and i needed a new trani.
"with all your respect sir... but what do you know about transmissions?" -second Chrysler head of mechanics said