Forum Issues Need help with Chrysler Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better Chrysler Forum? Tell us here.

voyager 2.5td gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Smile voyager 2.5td gearbox

hello
having trouble with my 1999 2.5 td voyager gear
box, will not go into 1st gear unless at complete
stop and even then sometimes need to go into 2nd
and then into 1st gear. any ideas out there how to solve problem, Like
these gearbox additives/treatments. Noticed it was filled
with incorrect oil when we got it (gear oil rather
than 10 50 engine oil

Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM

You still did not put it in the right section. I said in the Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country section. Anyhow one of three problems.

1. The clutch is not disengaging properly
2. The gearbox has a fault.
3. Rear engine mount
(Start with this one)

Note the oil should be a 10w40 conforming to CCMC G5 or A3/B3 NOT 10w50. Also you really shouldn't be trying to put a car into first unless it is stationary.

Last edited by glowplug; 04-26-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Default voyager gearbox

Thanks for help
sorry about posting in wrong section.
This is our 4th Voyager 2.5td. great car. when i say putting into 1st gear whilst still moving, even at a almost stop snails pace, say when you release foot brake to move of on a slight decline, it will not go into 1st. so unlike any car gearbox i have driven and was in car trade so driven hundreds.
will try engine mounts, as can see the front stabiliser one is badly worn and engine rocks badly when turn off. will look at rear one also. just curious when mountings will effect the cable operated gear changing as looks like engine could be in any orientation and cables would work ok. also wondering about any of these gearbox treatments, if had tried any with results.
Also noticed new problem, whilst turning say on round about, when you put a bit of power down, there is a low pitched grinding noise, when let power up stops. wonder if is CV joints.
this is 2nd voyager we have got with a split turbo intercooler radiator. wondered if is a week point and if wanted to mention on your very useful buyers guide. can be seen with small amount of oil blown onto coolant radiator and hits AC pump. i wish i had read it before i went buy this one.
kind regards.
PS. is there any after market produces that do these engine mounts/stabiliser rubbers, as are bit pricey on ebay-Chrysler parts.
on a side note. we have been running our VM powered voyagers on veg oil with great results, have you heard of any CRD Voyagers using it.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Default Yoyager gearbox

thanks again for help.
one more point-yes looked at clutch, does not drag in the slightest, looks to fully disengage gearbox.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:17 AM

The rocking mount affects the geometry of the box big time. The mounts can be had off jeepchryslerparts on ebay. It is just an insert at around £35. You need to cut out the old one carefully so you don't damage the bracket. If you have access to a hydraulic press then just press the new one in. I generally leave the new insert in the freezer overnight and then heat the bracket up with a couple of blowtorches and then tap the frozen insert in with hammer. You should do the front one at the same time, it comes complete. In fact I typically do all four which transforms the car beautifully.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:50 AM

I had awful trouble with my gearbox last year, in fact, I ended up replacing the box, not once but twice!!
Initially when my gearbox failed on me (luckily in a car park so I was only travelling about 5 km per hour)I purchased a recondition unit (big mistake) the reconditioned unit failed about 3 months later and I had to get it repaired.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:18 AM

And if they have put the wrong oil in you will be changing it again one day.

Note 96-00 manual transmissions use a 10W-40 engine oil

01-08 manual transmissions use Chrysler ATF4

Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 AM
Default Gearbox

Originally Posted by glowplug
The rocking mount affects the geometry of the box big time. The mounts can be had off jeepchryslerparts on ebay. It is just an insert at around £35. You need to cut out the old one carefully so you don't damage the bracket. If you have access to a hydraulic press then just press the new one in. I generally leave the new insert in the freezer overnight and then heat the bracket up with a couple of blowtorches and then tap the frozen insert in with hammer. You should do the front one at the same time, it comes complete. In fact I typically do all four which transforms the car beautifully.
Thanks i will give that a go, any idea about the noise when turning and putting power down, are the CV also an issue on the Voyagers?
i have also had another problem that confused me for a while, on two Voyagers. the front brake calliper binding for a while after braking and uneven pulling to one side braking. thought it was sizing piston or sliders on the calliper, but ended up being collapsing flexible brake hose.
thought info may help out other Voyager owners if similar issue.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 AM

any idea what the the problem was with them internally.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 AM

thanks for warning, do you mean changing it again - the gear box or the oil? i did think about changing the oil again after a short trip, and treat the first change as sort of flushing out any gear oil that had remained. one thing i did notice when i drained the original gear oil when i got the Voyager, it was very black with a fair amount of metal in it. i presumed the black was alloy in the oil, but i guess could be the sycncro mesh brass/copper metal as well. most gear boxes other cars, i have drained, the oil has been very clear, so was a bit concerned.

Quick Reply: voyager 2.5td gearbox