Forum Issues Need help with Chrysler Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better Chrysler Forum? Tell us here.

voyager 2.5td gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 AM

The copper you saw was due to the gearbox oil. The sulphur in the gearbox oil reacts with the copper/brass on the synchro hubs and disolves it CU + SO2 + O2 = CUSO4 = copper sulphate.

get ahold of opies oils and order yourself 5 litres of FUCH's TiTAN fully synthetic 10W40. However I fear your 1st/2nd synchro hub may be screwed. Saying that however whn I got my first Voyager it was real pain to get into first and it was the rear engine mount.

Last edited by glowplug; 04-28-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:10 AM

If you having a trouble in your in car gearbox so you can just check you gear box in side i think it Having a dust thats way occurs this problem otherwise you should check in gearbox oil it may be Empty.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:59 AM
Default Gearbox

not sure what you mean by dust. have changed oil thanks for help. welded up the turbo intercooler yesterday, nice big split in it. used the low temperature aluminium welding rods. works a treat. car much more power and smoother.
and yes engine mounts are shot, will do that job soon and let you know outcome. am getting use to driving with 1st gear issue now, but still want to fix it. do you know if a VM powered 1998 rover 825 gearbox will fit?
all the best

Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 AM

Although the engines are the same the gearboxes will be different. The reason these cars have an adapter plate is because the engines were not made to fit nor were the gearboxes. You use an adapter plate to allow you to mate a differentbox with an engine. These engines are boat engines so each car manufacturer that used them will have mated them to whatever gearbox they chose for that particular car. Even if you did find a box that was a perfect match the ratios would more than likely be different which would change your driveability, consumption, performance and the accuracy of your speedo.

Try flushing the oil a second time using the oil I suggested earlier. Sometimes there is enough of the old oil left to contaminate the new oil which results in baulking. Always raise the front of the car slightly whilst draining. If I were you I would take the gearbox off and do the rear crankshaft seal as well. I can almost guarantee that you have an oil leak where the engine mates to the gearbox.

For my sins I can strip these cars with my eyes shut.....makes me wonder why I went and bought another one :-(

Old 06-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Default voyager g/box noise

I have a 1999 diesel grand voyager with a noisy gearbox on tick over and on driving.
The noise disapears when clutch is engaged.
I am toying what may be the cause and believe it may be the 1st motion shaft bearing and will be removing gearbox shortly to investigate.
My question is, do these gearboxs have to be stripped to change bearing or can it be removed from inside bellhousing.
Boots

Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Default noisy gearbox

not sure if thats possible as only have access to diff. we have voyager with same noise that disappears when clutch is engaged, has been doing it for 50000 miles. it is fairly common noise with gearboxes, i would not bother with it, but would be interested with outcome.

we have a inner CV joint that seems very lose where it goes into the gearbox, wondered if this is normal. the drive shaft CV on the gearbox side only. the other longer drive shaft CV seems nice and tight as would be expected. An thoughts would be welcome. O and makes an awfull noise on right hand steering when putting down power. (seems like CV noise, but less clicking)

Old 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by boots
I have a 1999 diesel grand voyager with a noisy gearbox on tick over and on driving.
The noise disapears when clutch is engaged.
I am toying what may be the cause and believe it may be the 1st motion shaft bearing and will be removing gearbox shortly to investigate.
My question is, do these gearboxs have to be stripped to change bearing or can it be removed from inside bellhousing.
Boots
Search through my previous posts for a link to where you can download the proper Chrysler workshop manual. I has a full break down of the gearbox. Hopefully it is just something simple like the thrust bearing. Whilst these typically make noise when depressed I have found some that make noise when idling due to warped fingers on the pressure plate.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Default voyager 1999 Chrysler 2.5td gearbox

just had a another gearbox go have been using the 10w 40 engine oil fully synthetic. after stripping down box, it is the same problem as first. the ball bearing on the input shaft has started to brake up with lots of small metal fragments in the oil.
i have found a supplier of the faulty NSK bearing, 1/3 the price of the chrysler main dealers, if anyone needs a bearing. apparently this is a very common fault/bearing to go on this gearbox.
i found a second hand gearbox, it is from a 1998 2.0L petrol voyager. does any one know if it will fit my 1999 2.5 td.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM

2 Questions

1. How much mileage had the box done before you got the car ?

2. How much mileage did you do on the box between filling it with 10W40 and the bearing failing ?

Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by glowplug
2 Questions

1. How much mileage had the box done before you got the car ?

2. How much mileage did you do on the box between filling it with 10W40 and the bearing failing ?
the second gearbox had done 200,000 miles
and it lasted me a further 7000 miles filled with 10w40.
any idea if that 2.0l petrol voyager box will fit my 2.5 td

Quick Reply: voyager 2.5td gearbox