Forum Issues Need help with Chrysler Forum? Ask. Have a suggestion to better Chrysler Forum? Tell us here.

white/Blue smoke issue of Grand Voyager 2004 Diesel CRD

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 AM

I have just spoken to a Chrysler dealer who has recommended i get the injectors looked at as the symptoms i explained are mostly likely to be the issue.
Would you say this sounds about right?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:01 AM

no probs on the help, i might be way off topic though with egr valve fault though,
mine smokes a bit when you floor it hard and come onto boost from turbo, its worse if you have just been poodling round town then boot it down slip road onto dual carrageway but only for a few seconds also does it if i have a heavy load in it (when on boost) but i dont have any loss in power, so i just put mine down to worn oil seals on turbo

let us know the outcome when it is sorted

Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM

will do.

Just a quick note, when you said comes into boost from the turbo make me think i dont think i have ever experienced that in mine. The other day i was reving it to a mate to see the type of smoke we were talking about and the thing never let me rev over 2500rpm......... and even in drive mode it never gets abot 2500rpm before changing down a gear.
Does this sound right?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM

hi, have you tried building up the revs very slowly to see if it will rev past 2500/3000 rpm try this in park as there is no load on engine as it is not trying to pull the car, if it doesnt then it might be injectors might be low pump pressure but this should show up a fault code. mine is manual 2.5 crd but i can rev right round into 4000+ rpm while in neutral and will carry on to 122mph this is just touching the start of the redline (4000rpm) at this speed i only get 14/15mpg

did your voyager do this before you had the turbo changed i.e not rev freely or hesitate as it could be faulty turbo that they fitted, very rare if it was a new unit but it does happen

Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 AM

wow, 122mph...I cant ever imagine mine getting to that coz it takes ages to pick up when moving along the bypass / motorway.
I will give it a try and see what happens when i build up the revs slowly, I guess injectors / pump could also give me symptoms of the smoke issue too couldn’t it?.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 AM
Unhappy Till light blue smoke when idling after 30 sec

Me again,

Sorry to bang on about this but I seem to not be getting this issueresolved.

Just so i might confirm i have described my fault correctly i think it’sbest to summarise;

Light blue smoke when first starting from cold (quite a lot a first but thendisappears after 5 / 10 seconds).

Light blue smoke then re-appears as engine warms up, and really visible whenrunning normal temp. It smokes from exhaust when idling either in gear or notafter being stationary for about 20 seconds, then its continual smoke untilafter i have pulled away then it seems to stop again, (that is unless i stop).I can smell diesel quite often from inside the cab and noticed it a few timeswhen the tank was full and i was getting ,y son out the back door.

Any thoughts / views would be very welcome as I am very very tempted to PXit in for something else.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:41 AM

I know this is an old posting, but the first thing to do with a smoky diesel is to pay attention to the injectors. They can produce white or black smoke if a little clogged, depending on engine/injector design. Modern injectors are VERY different from the old passive indirect injectors. The first give-away is a rise in fuel consumption.

Don't bother yourself with pouring so-called injector cleaner in the tank. It won't work.
The only thing that MIGHT work is putting some "Forte" (accent on the final 'e') diesel injector cleaner into the fuel filter to clean injectors. This is what experienced diesel mechanics do. Failing that, you'll have to remove the injectors for professional cleaning. Make sure the same injectors go back into the same holes, as many of them are "calibrated" nowadays to work with the control micro. Not necessarily on this VM diesel though.

Leedsman.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Back in 1984 I bought a 6 cylinder Oldsmobile diesel. After about 4 years, it started giving out a puff of white smoke in the morning on cold start-up. It was a blown head gasket.