General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

[HELP] 1990 New Yorker won't start!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Default [HELP] 1990 New Yorker won't start!!!!!

I have a 1990 Chysler New Yorker with 143,000 miles. Never been in a accident; body , paint , and interior is perfect. But I have always had some electrical problem or another. So here's the thing. Last week my girlfriend used it to go to the store. She called me to come over as the car wouldn't restart. Voltage was low so we had to jump it. It died as soon as I tried to put it into gear. I had to rev it up while appling the brakes to make it home. The moment I put into park she died. I bought a battery charger and all seemed to be find, except the car would not hold the charge. So I bought a new battery and everything seemed fine. It worked for about a week. Now she won't turnover. Voltage is up and the car is not draining the battery. You can turn the radio and all the accessories on with no problem. The moment to try to ingage the engine, everything goes dead. I have to disconnect the battery to "reset the car" and get it to have power again. My friend who works for BMW came over and after messing around with it for awhile got it to start. In the hood on the left is a box with several fuses that are not burned out. The box looks brand new with no corrosion. After I reset the car, when I connect the ground I can hear a faint click in the box, athough I don't see any moving parts. We smacked it a few times and it seemed to work for a few days. I drove to work and then as I tried to get home it did the same thing. After unplugging the ground and reconnecting it the car started. Once I got home though, it hasn't started again. The starter is fairly new as I had replaced it a few years back. Any ideas on what I should do to try to fix it? I can't even get it to a mechanic as it won't start and paying for a tow will be pricy.