General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 vs 06 knock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Default 03 vs 06 knock sensor

this is sort of a strange technical question and it may never be answered, but i'll try anyway. My daughter has an 03 sebring with a 2.7 liter that shot craps so I aquired an 06 2.7 liter with very low milage and a brand new rebuild that was totaled. I swapped the necessary parts and sensors (not bad at all and if anyone is interested, I can describe the experience and what was needed), but I got to the knock sensor and found out that the sensor on the 06 is mounted differently than the one on the 03. The 06 is held in place by a stud and nut and the 03 screws onto place. My question is if the sensors work the same way as far as the ECM is concerned. If that is the case, I would be able to just replace the connector. I know that both knock sensors vibrate and create a signal that the ECM reads and reacts to, but is it the same signal where the 06 knock sensor will be read correctly by the 03 ECM? Right now we are getting a check engine light. Or can I just hook up the 03 knock sensor and just sort of lay it in there to eliminate the check engine light? FYI the swap was pretty easy and streight forward except for the knock sensor. Please help me if you can.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:12 PM

My suggestion would be to cross check the part number of the one you installed on the OEM parts site to see if it's even compatible

WeRMopar.com - OEM Parts For Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram Vehicles

Then go from there.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by lancery
this is sort of a strange technical question and it may never be answered, but i'll try anyway. My daughter has an 03 sebring with a 2.7 liter that shot craps so I aquired an 06 2.7 liter with very low milage and a brand new rebuild that was totaled. I swapped the necessary parts and sensors (not bad at all and if anyone is interested, I can describe the experience and what was needed), but I got to the knock sensor and found out that the sensor on the 06 is mounted differently than the one on the 03. The 06 is held in place by a stud and nut and the 03 screws onto place. My question is if the sensors work the same way as far as the ECM is concerned. If that is the case, I would be able to just replace the connector. I know that both knock sensors vibrate and create a signal that the ECM reads and reacts to, but is it the same signal where the 06 knock sensor will be read correctly by the 03 ECM? Right now we are getting a check engine light. Or can I just hook up the 03 knock sensor and just sort of lay it in there to eliminate the check engine light? FYI the swap was pretty easy and streight forward except for the knock sensor. Please help me if you can.
All a knock sensor does is send a signal to the computer and the computer backs the timing off 2 degrees at a time till it quits knocking then advances it just till it gets a signal again and this way the car will run fuel efficient. cross referencing the part numbers is a waste of time because any changes in the part will have a new number. change the connector. and no you cant just lay it on the engine. it has a crystal in it so be gentle with it. if you want to check a knock sensor just hammer on the engine and listen for a change in the engine sound.

Hope this helps.