General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Chrysler 300M Hard Starting Problem!!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Question 1999 Chrysler 300M Hard Starting Problem!!! HELP!!!

Initial start-up in the morning my car fires right up (has 165,000 miles). After that I have to crank it just until it almost floods then slightly step on the gas to get it to start. A strong fuel odor emits from the vents everytime after this happens. I have replaced the plugs and wires. My mechanic advises to start with fuel pump, he had to cycle it 4 times to get full pressure but also advises it may not fully cure the hard starting issue once its replaced. He says it may also be an injector, timing issue if the belt was replaced, the other problem was it was stuck at high-idle (1200-1500rpms) in neutral/park/drive but this has been partially cured since the air intake box had a few holes poked in it (not sure why by previous owner, more air my guess)and they were covered up. Initial estimates to repair may be up to $1100+. I replaced the entire front steering components, axles, new tires over last 3 months and really hate to give up on it with what I have invested so far since I do like the way it cruises. Are there any suggestions that may help?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:40 PM

If you're smelling gas look 2c if there is leakage when its cold... just after starting. That SHOULD be the only reason (other than major exhaust system issues) you would smell gas thru the vents...

It is possible that the injectors are leaking which would explain a good 1st start and a difficult following.... this could also be explained by a clogged/dying fuel filter... making it difficult to get fuel pressure after that initial startup. Also, this thing is fuel-injected and unless the issue is related to leaking injectors/high fuel pressure there is NO reason for it to be 'flooding'.

... and you should backhand the guy who poked holes in an intake line that NEEDS to be 'sealed'... just proves he/she/it had no clue what was going on!

I WOULD START with a fuel filter (and look for leaks!) b4 doing anything else... unless its been done already.
What about the air filter? Been done too? NO? Nowhere as critical as the fuel filter, but with the complaint(s) you mentioned, it should be done NOW too!

Last edited by leeb; 01-29-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Default Thanks!

Thx Leeb, i will look at that and will start with fuel filter 1st. yeah I wish I knew the guy cause he could use a good slap. As for the leaks, do you mean to look within the injector areas or where abouts?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 AM

Depending on the location of the injectors (if you can get an eye on them) you will most likely see pooling or residue around them. Usually, if you have 1 leaking it's best to replace them all. You dont have to replace the injectors, I belive you can just get the O-rings and replace those. The injectors will cost you a pretty penny, at least they did on my jeep.

I would check the fuel filter as suggested above but I dont think you would be smelling fuel through your vents as the filters are usually mounted remotely on the frame rail, most likely behind the front seats. Since you are smelling it through the vents I would bet it's the injectors leaking. Do you notice any performance issues?