General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Chrysler Sebring Convertable

Old 04-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Default 1999 Chrysler Sebring Convertable

Hi. New to the forum......this is going to be a bit lengthly so bear with me......I have an issue with this vehicle and came here to see if I could get some help....There seems to be a wiring issue....I had it in the garage for about 7 or 8 months and at first, the vehicle would not turn over....The dash lights would all come on but would not turn over......

Had it towed to the garage and they had to replace the computer module....then it would turn over but still no start....because the computer module was taken from another car, the keys had to be "Skimmed".....Once that was done the car would start on occasion....however when it did not start, the code reader would not communicate with the car....

The mechanic at the garage had determined that the wiring harness had an intermittment problem but couldn't pinpoint where....as when working on the vehicle it would suddenly start to work......and then may start for a few times then wouldn't start....They even had a mechanic from our local Chrysler dealership come over and he couldn't figure it out...except that the problem seems to be in the harness....and these cars are known for this kind of trouble....

Has anybody here on the forum ever had this problem and if so, what exactly did you do to repair it....I am an electronic tech and repair all kinds of electronics such as music gear, amplifiers, control boards, etc but have not worked on electrical systems for cars...I was told that there is a bad ground somewhere but nobody can find it....Maybe it is not a bad ground after all but some other problem with the wiring and I am hoping that somebody here would know exactly what might be causing this problem.......Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

P.S. I tried to find a wiring diagram but couldn't find anything....

Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 AM

If you can find a factory shop manual for the car, it will contain all the details about the wiring including diagrams, ground locations, etc. You will need the main volume and the convertible supplement. Wiring diagrams alone occupy a couple hundred pages.

These things come up on eBay on rare occasions, so you'll need to keep an eye peeled for them. Good luck.