General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Grand voyager replacement BCU problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Default 1999 Grand voyager replacement BCU problem

Hi all,
For my sins I have a 1999 Grand Voyager 2.5 turbo deisel. I've been having different electrical problems, mostly lighting issues. I've spent a considerable amount of money with an auto electrician who managed to get the headlights working, only for the interior lights, fog lights and rear lights to fail straight after. I did some research and found it was likely to be the BCU. After recovering from the shock of dicovering how much Chrysler wanted to rectify this problem I set to work on finding a salvaged part. This I managed to do and fitted it myself, Imagine my delight when finding that all the previous electrical problems seem to be resolved. Then imagine my dismay when I found that the immobilisor cut in and stopped the engine. It seems that the BCU has to be programmed with the vin code etc. Chrysler will not do this unless you buy a new BCU from them. Does anyone know where I can get the vehicle info from the old BCU transfered to the new one? or where I can purchase a bypass for the immobilisor. I'm not worried about the immobilisor as I don't think my 12 year old vehicle is going to be high on the list for car theives. The car has served my family well over the years, I can't afford to spend much more on it, and I can't afford to replace it with another car, and I'd rather not scrap it, but if I can't solve this problem I may have to. It seems such a waste. Please help if you can.
Thanks
Roger

Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Chrysler will not do this unless you buy a new BCU from them
Its not that they wont...But rather...They CANNOT. Once the immobilizer is activated, there is no way to shut it off.

The immobilizer function technically isnt from BCM....It is from ECM...BCM only signals that conditions are correct for ECM to allow fuel delivery, or in your case, STARTER activation. Problem comes in when, ecm now INSISTS on seeing a "ALL CLEAR " message when in fact that message doesnt exist.

Sad to say, you will probably be buying a New ECM as well.