General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2.4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Default 2.4 problems

I am new to this forum and I would like to say thanks in advance for your help. I presently own a 1999 Intrepid, a 2000 Stratus and I just recently purchased an 02 PT Cruiser with a bad 2.4 non turbo engine. I bought a used 2.4 engine from a local salvage yard that supposedly came out of an 03 Cruiser. Everything looked to be the same and the install went smoothly until I went to hook up the crankshaft position sensor. There was notone in the location above the oil filter like the original engine. As I looked for the sensor I found what appeared to be the same type of sensor mounted on the opposite sidein the block above the starter. Also the mounting holes for the EGR valve were present but the opening in the head had not been drilled into the exhaust port. Can anyone tell me if they changed the location of the crankshaft position sensor between 02 and 03 models and will I be able to make this work? I have already machined the opening for the egr valve and have it mounted correctly. I also have rerouted the wiring that ran to the original crank sensor and connected it to the one above the starter. When I crank the engine it seems like it is out of time but I put the motor on TDC and checked the timing belt marks and they are right on. Help please!
Thanks again.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Default RE: 2.4 problems

I stated in my first post that the crankshaft sensor was above the starter, it should have said below the starter. Sorry.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM

Try looking on the rear side of the engine block for the CKP sensor.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:08 AM

I did look on the back where it was on the original 2002 engine I took out and there is nothing there. I was told that in 2003 the location was changed to where I found it on the 2003 motor I installed. which is under the starter on the front side of the engine toward the rear of the block. I have learned by searches on this forum and others that this reuljts in the PCM firing 180 degrees off. I have yet to find an answer as to how this situation can be remedied short of taking the engine back out and finding the correct year engine. So after much contemplation I decided to fool the pcm much like in the old days when you didnt want to pull the distributor back out when it was a tooth off. I moved the ignition wires up one position so #3 cyl. was on #1 coil tower and so on. I used the old wires off the 2002 engine to make 2 longer wires to do this.Guess what? It still didnt start but it no longer backfired thruthe intake.Not to be deterred I thought that the cam sensor must be out also. I took the cam sensor bolts out and with the key on and using a remote starter switch, cranked the engine while slowly rotating the cam sensor. Guess what this time? It started, but I couldnt hold the cam sensor in that sweet spot for very long. I believe this can be fixed this way but I need a way of degreeing the cam sensor to the cam. Sound crazy. I surely hope not. Hopefully we can get some more input from other members to get this figured out. Thanks for responding and I look forward to you and others thoughts.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:50 AM

You were correct in concluding that the crank sensor was 180 degrees out of phase. If you think about it, it's because the sensor was moved around the crank. I suspect that they just re-programmed the PCM to reflect the situation. Probably the best solution is to get hold of a computer for the engine.
There are guys on eBay that sell Chrysler computers for a couple of hundred bucks including shipping. I bought one for my Sebring and it worked beautifully. You send them your VIN and mileage and they program them into the unit.
With your situation it might be complicated by the fact that your VIN won't match the year of your engine. Will the computer accept an engine type that doesn't match the one that is associated with the VIN? I don't know. You could ask these guys. They might not know either.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 PM

i recently changed the head on my 01 pt cruiser now I have an oil leak coming from the left side. any ideas why

Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 AM

You have fitted that well. Try to place your head gas kit in most esteemed manner and place that gently. Don't tight the screws so hard that they might have become free. Be Very gentle in assembling.