General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Cirrus stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Default 2000 Cirrus stalling problem

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus with 2.4 liter engine. About 4 weeks ago we were out and the car just quit with no warning after about an hour of driving and wouldn't start. After about 5 minutes it started back up but died again after a couple minutes. It did this several times so we left the car and got a ride home. Returned to the car 2 hours later and it started up and I drove it home with no problems. Didn't use the car at all for 2 weeks except to idle it in driveway which it would do for long periods of time with no problem and then I did drive the car and had the exact same issues as it quit on me after about an hour of driving. Let the car sit for 2 hours and then drove it home with no issues. Today I got in the car without even warming it up and drove only 5 minutes and had the same problems. I have changed both camshaft and crankshaft position sensors in the last 4 months due to another problem. Really need some help on this as I'm really confused. Forgot to mention that I swapped out the fuel pump relay and ASD relay yesterday. Really strange that it quit so fast today as it was only 5 minutes of driving and I hadn't even warmed the car up just came out started it up and left where the other incidents took place after about an hour and half of driving the car both times. I also swapped the black ignition module box and installed new spark plugs over the weekend. I'm really desperate as I'm unemployed and this is our only car and we need it as we drive my son to school as he can't ride the bus. Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help. There are no codes being thrown when scanned and the check engine light has never come on and the car runs perfect when running and then it just quits

Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Could be a clogged or partially clogged fuel filter. It won't throw any codes and can allow unlimited idling, but can starve the engine of fuel after driving a while.

Changing the fuel filter is a bit of a chore.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 AM

Don't you think the car's performance would be a little rough if the fuel filter was clogged at all.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM

Not necessarily. I once had a fuel filter problem that caused the car to stall at 60 mph on the freeway. Up to then, no problems. Slow speed and idling it would run all day. It could pass lesser amounts of fuel until it couldn't pass enough to keep her running at high speeds.
The fuel filter is there to catch crud before it gets to the injectors. It can catch a fair amount of stuff but eventually, it gets clogged up. If it's original, that's 10 years of stuff in there.
Can't be sure from here what it is, but that's a possibility to consider.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 AM

all those symptoms are EXACTLY indicative of a bad crank sensor. but since you already tossed some parts at it, can't be it. but what about a bad wiring connection? how about a pcm problem. When you connect a 2 channel oscillicope, monitor cam and crank sensor patterns by back probing the pcm harness. then see what happens. I had the same conditions with a 2.0 avenger. even when it died it had cam and crank signals has spark and fuel injection pulse no start when hot. The car already had a new crank sensor but it was installed with a the original bad connector.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

basic stuff see if u are missing spark and or fuel.