General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Sebring Shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Question 2001 Sebring Shuts off while driving

2001 Sebring Sedan 2.7 Engine recently started shutting off while driving but seems to come right back after a couple of dings and quick hesitations. So far it just bucks a few time but resumes driving. It has shut off at intersections but seems to restart in 30 seconds or so. I have read several threads indicating different sensors such as crankshaft and others. The car seems to overheat when in a lot of stop and go traffic (Gauge only goes a little above halfway) and then oil light flashes when RPM's drop to about 500. A little pedal work stops that. I have read some threads on other Chrysler vehicles that say the problem could be related to the plastic thermostat cover or housing on the manifold. I did have it replaced a few years ago. I have noticed a very slow water leak when the water was hot but not a lot. I have read that if this part is cracked the sensor on top may send a signal that the car has no coolant and shuts down the engine. Has anyone had this situation and solved it by replacement. I have also heard fuel pump and injectors could be a problem but I have run injector cleaner through several times. The car usually starts with the turn of the key but occasionally (very) It doesn't start on first crank but I have to add a little gas pedal. Of course it's served me well for 15 years so I am taking it to my mechanic but want to be armed with ideas although he is pretty honest. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:39 PM

Not sure what you are describing. If the engine stalls it won't restart by itself. You would have to put it in neutral and turn the key to restart. If it "bucks" while driving, that could be the result of a harsh shift caused by a transmission problem. Such a problem will usually leave a fault code in the transmission computer. If your mechanic has a good scanner he may be able to find that fault code. Have you been maintaining the transmission with fluid changes as recommended in the owners manual?
If there's a water leak, that could explain the over-heating but there are numerous possible causes for overheating especially in a 15-year-old car. You need to find out where the leak is and deal with it appropriately. If that doesn't solve the overheating problem then you'll need to look for other issues in the cooling system.
The oil pressure light coming on at engine idle is a known problem. Replace the switch.