General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

3.3 Voyager blown head gasket.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Default 3.3 Voyager blown head gasket.

Hi. I've bought a 51 plate 3.3 voyager with a blown head gasket. I had it running to see the issue with the engine and it runs well until it gets warm and starts preasurizing. The issue i have is at cold there's an exhaust blow from the rear manifold,that stops when it warms up. Is there an EGR pipe around the back that is known to fracture? I'm ordering parts prior to dismantling so haven't got it stripped to find out the cause yet.
Also do the heads usually require skimming and do the head bolts usually need changing? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 AM

I Thought this would be quite a popular problem with these Voyagers, but seemingly from no answers, perhaps it isn't. So if it helps anyone else this is how it went. The head gasket job went fine, replaced both head gaskets and found the exhaust blow was from the rear manifold being loose around cylinder 5 and also the head gasket had gone on cylinder five. It was only a slight leak so didn't get the heads skimmed and it appears to be fine now. The biggest hassle with the head job was the exhaust bolts, that link the front and rear manifolds being seized. I found the easiest way around this was to unbolt both manifolds from the heads, then gently leaver them out of the way to gain access to the head bolts. Then once the heads were removed i could deal with the seized exhaust bolts. Rebuilding was to refit the heads, then refit the manifolds. This made it easier to torque the heads bolts with nothing getting in the way. I also replaced the head bolts, just incase.
The radiator had gone at the bottom so the previous owner not topping it up/fixing it had caused it to over heat.
If it helps anyone else the suppliers i used that gave me the best prices for the parts were, jeepchryslerparts.co.uk for gaskets. Rockauto.com for the head bolts and champion car radiators uk, T01709580456.