General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

300M - Disable car alarm permantly

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Default 300M - Disable car alarm permantly

I have a 2000 300M of which the car alarm cannot be shut-off when it is activated. When the alarm is going off, nothing works to silence it. This includes: locking/unlocking the doors; pressing the red "panic" button; starting/stopping the engine. My only option has been to remove the negative wire from the battery.

Where I live/work, I don't need a car alarm and would like to permanently disable it. The alarm has become an extreme nuisance. Any suggestions?

p.s. I did search this forum and found some similar cases, but I didn't find anything specifically like the issue that I'm having.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 PM

The alarm operation is a function of the body control module. I'm not aware of any owner procedure to disable it. You could disconnect the horns, but that creates other problems. If you lock the car manually with the locks on the window ledge, NOT the electric switch, NOT the remote and NOT with the key, the alarm system is not supposed to activate and should not trigger. The red light on the dash will not be flashing if the alarm is not set. It isn't a perfect solution but it may be a workaround.
Unlocking the doors with the key is supposed to shut off the alarm. Have you tried that?
Do your remotes work consistently for other functions? Maybe the batteries are getting tired.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there was something like one of those control modules that could be either removed to perm. disable the alarm or install a "drone" module that would do nothing but "trick" the alarm into thinking that everything is always ok.

Everything else on the key-fob works. Though, you've given me an idea... what I may try is pulling the door lock/unlock module(s) out. The alarm seems to be set when the doors are locked/unlocked electronically -- either through the remote switch or the key in the door. So, if the doors are unable to lock/unlock electronically, perhaps the alarm will no longer arm. Besides the car is "short" enough inside that it doesn't take much of reach to manually lock/unlock the doors.

What do you think?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:05 PM

If manually locking the doors solves the problem, then just do it that way. Someday you will park somewhere when you will want to have the alarm available, even if there's a risk of a false alarm.
The lock motors in the doors are built in to the locks. Pulling the wires may just discombobulate the computer even more.