General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Town & Country - Electric Drives Seat Memory

Old 10-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Default 97 Town & Country - Electric Drives Seat Memory

My Mom-in-Law bought a nice used 97 T&C van with low miles. It’s in great shape and has only a few minor problems.

The one I am attempting to fix is the driver’s electric seat. The seat (and the drives mirror) always moves to the prior owners setting whenever to vehicle is unlocked with either of the two key fobs. I have reset both fobs according to the owner’s manual directions, however, it will not hold the new settings in the systems memory, and the seat still moves all the way back each time. My son suggested unplugging the fuse to disable the seat, but I noticed the circuit also controls the door locks. We thought about unplugging the motor; however I don’t want to risk disabling any safety items.

Is there any simple way to clear the memory for the seat settings?

Any assistance would be much appreciated

Old 11-02-2005, 12:48 AM
ace
Default RE: 97 Town & Country - Electric Drives Seat Memory

this is all i could pull up do you think you may have done it wrong

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY (RKE) DATA LINK
The memory seat/mirror module interfaces with the RKE via a serial data link (single wire) The programming sequence to relate an RKE transmitter to the chosen seat, recliner and side view mirror positions consists of the following steps:

Adjust the seat, recliner and side view mirrors to the desired position.
Press momentarily and release memory switch S.
Press momentarily and release memory switch 1 or 2.
Press momentarily and release a LOCK button on an RKE transmitter.
To program the second driver's position, follow the previous sequence with a second transmitter.
To recall either of the programmed positions with an RKE transmitter, press momentarily and release an UNLOCK button on one of the programmed RKE transmitters. An unprogrammed RKE transmitter will have no effect on the system.
The RKE receiver uses the serial data link to notify the module of a request from a programmed transmitter, that an UNLOCK button has been pressed. This UNLOCK request (from a transmitter associated with either switch 1 or 2) will activate the Memory Seat/Mirror Module in the recall mode to the values that are stored in the module's memory.
Whenever the module receives a specific data stream from the RKE receiver that involves the programming of a new transmitter into the RKE receiver, the module will clear its nonvolatile memory seat and recliner values for both memory 1 and 2 and will default to a location consisting of seat track rearward, seat vertical risers down, and recliner forward in both memory 1 and 2. After this has occurred, the customer must reprogram their desired seat and mirror positions.
A recall is possible any time that the vehicle transmission is in PARK. This condition is monitored by the Body Control Module (BCM)
A ground placed on the serial data link by the BCM whenever that the transmission is not in PARK, will inhibit a recall request from the door mounted memory switch 1 or 2 or the RKE receiver that was initiated by either of the validly programmed transmitters
NOTE: The module will abort a recall if the transmission is moved out of the PARK position or if any seat, recliner or memory switch is pressed.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 Town & Country - Electric Drives Seat Memory

IF THAT DOES NOT WORK THE U WILL NEED A MMS (MEMORY SEAT MODULE)