General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AWD power transfer unit broken

Old 09-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Default AWD power transfer unit broken

My 2004 Grand Voyager transmission suddenly started clunking and banging. I was able to detect it was coming from the transfer case. I finally got my AWD onto a lift and was able to run it with the wheels off the ground. Really loud clanking coming from the power transfer unit. I disconnected the propshaft from the PTU so that no power was going to the rear wheels and the noise was still there and without a doubt coming from the PTU. I shut the motor off and was able to turn the wheel by hand as I watched the shaft coming out of the PTU. Sure enough after about 5 or 6 rotations the shaft stopped turning. I continued spinning the wheel and within a couple of revolutions the shaft started turning again. I have not seen what is inside the PTU but it sounds like I have lost some drive teeth.
It's almost impossible to get parts for the AWD here in Australia so I am thinking of converting it to a FWD. I am pondering two alternatives here
(1) I can either remove the PTU completely and install a longer FWD driveshaft
thus making it FWD. I will need to find a transmission extension to add to the
right hand side of the transmission to accommodate the new driveshaft but it sounds like a reasonable alternative.
(2) Not knowing the setup inside the PTU I am wondering if it has a pinion that I can remove? Seeing as how I don't need any power to go out the back to the rear wheels this should remove and "clanging" as the gears rotate inside the PTU.
It would also not have to change the driveshaft. It could all stay as it is except nothing going out the back
Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track or am I heading for disaster?
Any advise would be appreciated
Cheers

Old 09-10-2016, 05:59 PM

It seems the AWD has not attracted a lot of fans anywhere. What I have discovered is that those who do understand them go to great lengths to make sure their tires match exactly. Apparently mismatched tires account for the majority of AWD failures. Can anyone point me to a technical drawing of the inside of the power transfer unit? Darned if I can find one anywhere
Thanks

Old 09-11-2016, 01:59 PM

Sorry I can't answer your question but you might have more luck posting it up in the Voyager and Town & Country area of the forum. That's a very active area with members from all around the world.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 AM

thanks dcotter0579, good advise.
I finally found a set of drawings and plan to pull the shaft to see if my idea will work.
Cheers

Old 09-17-2016, 06:07 AM

it worked.