General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can a module's stored VIN be changed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Default Can a module's stored VIN be changed?

I recently discovered Chrysler's anti DIYer program where the individual modules throughout the vehicle keep a VIN stored in them, which needs to match the vehicles VIN in order to work correctly.
Is it possible to have modules from a donor vehicle reprogrammed with the recipient's VIN in order to function properly?

For example: My '07 Pacifica only came with one remote key transmitter, and my '05 parts car came with two remote keys.
I swapped the ignition lock assembly and the SKREEM module into my car and the remote entry worked with both keys.
When I started the engine the first time, it fired right up and ran fine until I put my foot on the brakes.
It stalled immediately and displayed "Service Immobilizer" on the dash.
It would restart after that, but it would shut off again after about one second. Every time.
I put the original units back in their homes and all is well.

I was hoping to find a cheaper alternative than a $149.50 replacement remote key blank, plus 2.99 to cut the key.

I'm also hoping to add heated seats, power liftgate, and other options that my DD wasn't equipped with in the future, but I don't want to waste my time if the VIN stored in the module can't be changed.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 09-09-2019, 04:48 AM

No, only a dealership can add sales codes so that you can add extra options to car. As for modules, you could try getting AlphaOBD and a Bluetooth adapter and try and do a proxi alignment after installing the new module. But I don’t know if the vin is in the old modules or not.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the response!

That's what I figured, I'll stop in to see what the local dealership would charge to do that.
Oddly enough, my travels will take me right past it twice tomorrow.
Even better than that is, the singer for the band I used to play drums for is a tech at that dealership, and maybe he can get me a discounted rate!
Probably not, but it's a good thought! Lol

Old 09-10-2019, 08:37 PM

So, today I learned that once a module has been programmed with a VIN it cannot be changed to another VIN.
Furthermore, the vehicle's PCM not only communicates with all of the modules, but it's been programmed with only the required modules for how the vehicle was factory equipped.
The PCM will not search for, or recognize a module for options it wasn't originally equipped with.
I could buy all new modules and a new PCM and have the dealer program the modules to the PCM, and vice versa.

So, in other words, don't try to add options, or even bother using used modules to your Mopar vehicles...
That's a gigantic load of crap!

Old 09-19-2019, 03:15 PM

I'm having some crappy problems with my UConnect system and was talking to a mechanic friend about it the other day. They've already locked us down into using whatever is in the dash that they provide. I'll bet in the future when bluetooth audio is a bit higher quality that speakers and dash units will be married together similarly to what you mentioned above. No adding aftermarket anything and only using OEM approved stuff.

It really does suck.