General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Chrysler not started in 10 months question/advise

Old 05-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Default Chrysler not started in 10 months question/advise

Hi all. I was getting ready to start a Chrysler that hasn't been started in 10 months. It was a 2nd car and it's a long story as to how it ended up not being used or started, so I'll skip that part. I decided to seek advise before attempting to start it. It may start, but who knows what would happen to it after running it. I may be over doing it, but at this point I'm guessing I should take some steps first.

The tank is nearly empty, so perhaps condensation may have taken place. Because there isn't much fuel in it, I'm going to add several gallons of new gas mixed with fuel stabilizer. I realize the stabilizer won't save the old gas from deterioration, but I understand that it may help it to run better. I would drain the tank if I knew how, but I don't.

After thinking this over more, I started to worry if other things could go wrong. My question is, does it seem like it would be ok to start it with the fresh gas added? Or do I need to take other steps or precautions?

Am I worrying way too much? LOL.. Should I just add gas and go for it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Default RE: Chrysler not started in 10 months question/advise

After googling and asking 2 pepboys and a dealer, only 1 person recommended "dry gas". The others said it would be fine to start. I believe they just didn't know about condensation. One person even told me if it's sealed, water can't get in the gas tank. I kept reading it could through condensation, so I decided to put the gas treatment in. Had I started it, it probably would have been fine, but the results may not have been as good.

I poured 4 gallons of new gas treated with fuel stabilizer that was originally to be used in a generator. I then poured in some ISO-HEET, which is similar to the "dry gas". It says it helps in winter starting because the alcohol can prevent water in gas from freezing the lines.. But, it also said can be used in summer to remove water. I'm not sure it really removes it, but that's another story. Someone did say it helped to seperate water from gas. However it works, I was happy with the outcome.

It started right up. After about 2 or 3 minutes water started dripping out of the tail pipes (It's a 1995 Chrysler Concorde). So that pretty much told me water was still in it. I hoped it was just the fuel in the line and not the tank. I'd guess condensation over the winter and sping caused that. After a few minutes it stopped dripping completely. I'm assuming the gas in the tank was ok to burn and maybe helped by the new gas and Iso-heet. I'm not sure how it would have done without that, but at only $2.29 I'm glad I put it in. It runs fine now. Next, I will get it a complete tune up.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 PM

yeah that was smart to do but what you need to do now is drive it around at low speeds for a little while just to get it use to moving. after about a week of that take it out onto the highway and see how it is. if anything seems odd bring it into a mechanic to have it looked at

Old 06-30-2006, 02:16 PM

I would have pourd a little bit of oil in just so there was a little bit in the top end.....makes the dry start not as bad......also make sure you change to oil very soon.....I might have changed it before it was started

Old 12-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

the water out of the tail pipe is normal its a by product of combustion and the cat working correctly. NE water that is in the fuel will just be burned .