General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Chrysler rear end 8 3/4" venting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Default Chrysler rear end 8 3/4" venting issue

Hi, I'm new here as you may be able to tell.
I was hoping to get some tech answers here

I have a Chrysler rear end 8 3/4" which the only thing that is custom is the housing and the fabricator put a brass fitting as a vent on the upper right portion of the housing. The fabricator asked me to run a length of house to the back of the car that sits higher than the rear for when the rear is warming up in can vent out.And in doing so there might be some fluid that may come out as a result of venting so the length of house will be fine.

Ran 6ft of house into the trunk area. I mean that is the highest I can get it before mounting the house next to the antenna
I put a see through generic fuel filter at the end of the hose just so I can break the rear end and see how this whole vent and rear end behaves.
While having the car on jackstands I spun the rear with the engine and after 5 minutes of spinning the rear at 70MPH I got fluid come up into the hose and I could see it in the filter. I mean, the fluid travelled all the way into the trunk so the rear is pumping out the fluid out of the vent. My fabricator tells me which by the way is not great help after taking the cash from me, that I overfilled the rear. He tells me that it should be full from .25 inches to 1inch below the fill plug. I always filled up my rears with fluid until they started dripping out of the fill plug.
My questions are:
a) Can anyone confirm how much fluid to put in as far as if its at the fill plug level or below the fill plug. Even though I seem to believe that if it even was just a bit overfull, there should be no reason why that much fluid is getting pumped out into the hose in the trunk

b) Can anyone tell me about the vent placement since it's placed on the upper right portion of the rear. Is that where it should be placed? From what I understand from the fabricator, inside the rear, there is nothing but open space by the vent.

The answers I've gotten so far are which I don't even know what to make of it are:
a) Rear overheating the fluid and foaming it out-Overheating after 5 minutes??? (It's a brand new rear)
b) Ring gear pushing it out-????-
c) Don't worry, it will stop leaking out when the fluid level is lowered to what it likes-But then I ask the question: ok so when it stops, will the fluid level be at a safe margin for street driving? And there answer is, hmmmmm I don't know.

thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Chrysler rear end 8 3/4" venting issue

what fluid are u putting in??? what weight?? Are u towing nething when this is doing this?? and the correct fill is just to the tip of your finger when u bend it down inside the fill hole.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 AM

For breaking purposes I put Kendall 80 90 which I will switch to synthetic after 1,000 miles

but no, im not towing. I just have the car up on jackstands spinning the rear because originally I did take the car out on the street and notice a puddle of oil on the ground, so since then I decided to leave it on the stands till I come to a resolution.

So you are saying the correct fill is to the tip of your finger. Is the difference between TO the tip of the finger and letting the fluid just drip out a big one? I guess it must be right? If I'm pumping the fluid out of the vent

Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Go get chrysler 75w 140 synthetic and there is also some diff adative that they sell as well. This is anti foam agent and will not over heat

Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 AM

ok thanks for the info