General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant Fan Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Default Coolant Fan Problem

I recently bought a 1994 LeBaron convertible. Great body shape just needs minor repairs for my 16 year old daughter to drive to shool and work. The engine is a 3.0 liter V6 with automatic transmission. I worked thru the stuck thermostat but now cannot get the electric fan to kick on. You can drive the car on the highway and never gets hot but will eventually over heat in city driving.

The a/c is not charged up so the compressor wont kick on so I can't force the fan on that way way. I know the coolant fan motor is good - did a direct to the battery to kick it on - I know the relay in the power box is good because both the coolant fan relay and the fuel injecton relay are the same part number so I switched them and the car still started - if was bad, the fuel injection wouldn't work and car wouldn't start.

I am going to switch out the temp sending unit for the fan (two wire on thermostat housing) and the 20 amp fuse link in the pwer box as I can't tell if good or bad due to the appearance of boiled looking solder in the middle of it.

Is there anything else I should be checking? Any fuse links under dash or under the hood? Also if anyone has a wiring diagram they could send me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Russ

Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Default RE: Coolant Fan Problem

You may want to check this out. It's from Auto Zone:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Not sure how the page will open up, however, you want to scroll all the way to the bottom. There is a diagram there for a 94-95 Lebaron I believe. Let us know if it worked out for you? Good Luck!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 AM
moe

hey russ i would look into that boiled fuse,does it have little plastic cover over it?if so take little srewdriver and carefully pop cover off.lay test light across the sodier should light good.moe

Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 PM

Couldn't figure it out so I a rigged up a fuseable link to a toggle switch I mounted on the lower dash and wired it direct to the fan. I just watch the temp gage - most of the time I don't have to even turn the fan on with the weather as cool as it is now.

Thanks for all your tips

Russ