General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Electrical?--Brake/Battery intermittent lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Default Electrical?--Brake/Battery intermittent lights

I have a Sebring LXI, 3.0L/6 cyc, 2001. For the last 6 months I have been getting intermittent Brake/battery lights with the following: temperature gauge pegging HOT, Headlights dim, Dash/console BRIGHTEN (like it's about to burn out), the airflow from A/C changes, with a slight pull on the engine like it's power changes. On long drives (1 hour)--there are no issues; it's the local drives that are the issues. Today the 'Service Engine Soon' light just came on even though I just swapped out the spark plugs, etc.

Any help would be appreciated

Lorin

Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Sounds pretty strange. Could be lots of things, maybe a bad ground to the instrument panel, maybe a bad body computer or a faulty wiring connection somewhere.
The "check engine light" could be part of it or maybe not. Just because you changed spark plugs, doesn't mean that something else isn't in need of attention. Could be that in putting the car back together after replacing the "spark plugs, etc." something was left unconnected and the light came on.
The car has a computer that causes the "check engine" light to come on. It stores the codes describing the cause of the problem and you'll need to have it read. Your best bet is to take it to a dealer whose computer can not only access the engine computer but the body computer as well and may be able to reveal the source of the other gremlins that are causing the dash to light up strangely.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 AM

The codes for the brake/battery and 'Service Engine soon' came up as follows:
--po421 warm up catalyst system bank 1 below threshold
--p1500 generator fr terminal, idle speed control auxilary inputs

Any advise?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 AM

I believe that P1500 code is a code specific to Mitsubishi (your car was manufactured by Mitsubishi) that relates to the alternator circuit and could be a cause for the gremlins you describe.

The P0421 relates to the efficiency of your catalytic converter and should be checked out. It's a different problem.

Time for some proffessional help.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate the time taken.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 AM

A Sebring is a nice car. First of all you check the spark plug. After that you ca check the battery lights wiring connection. If any of the wire connection may be loose in contact than this type of situation possible. You can also contact your mechanic which gives you proper solution for that problem.