General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

electrical diagram

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Default electrical diagram

Hi guys I have been having difficulty trying to track down a discharge issue that is draining my battery. I wondered if some one could help by telling me where i can obtain an electrical diagram for it, i have a haynes manual but this is useless. It is a 2006 grand voyager 2.8 crd (european model)
Many thanks Graham

Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM

The electrical wiring diagrams take up about 60 pages of the shop manual. If you want a complete set of wiring diagrams, you'll need the shop manual.
It's not likely that you can find a short with the wiring diagrams however. Get a volt-ohmmeter and start pulling fuses until you isolate the circuit with the short. Then track down each wire until you find which one has gone bad.
A likely cause of a short is collision damage, so if you have any, begin looking there. Other likely spots are where somebody modified something with an aftermarket addition.
Look for a place where a wiring harness contacts a metal surface for signs of abrasion.
You may find a component with an internal short.
Before you do anything else, make sure that there is not a light left on somewhere. Kids love to turn lights on and seldom remember to turn them off.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the reply, i have found by pulling fuses i can reduce the discharge, but without the diagram, it is difficult to see which circuits are fed from which fuse, in order to isolate an area. ie the iod reuces it but i am unable to see which lines this feeds. i would be grateful if someone could tell me where i can locate one.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 AM

Don't know if your still having problems, I found this site very helpful: Chrysler Wiring
Lots of wiring diagrams on there, but you have to become a member which is free.
I found this site from another post on this site, I'm guessing you are allowed to post links but if not I do apologise.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Yes, the IOD fuse will reduce the discharge, but the IOD (Ignition Off Draw) feeds the circuits that need juice while the key is off, such as the clock and the receiver for the remote key. These circuits draw maybe 50 milliamps under normal circumstances. The IOD fuse also feeds the interior lights, the power seats and other things that work without the key. The dealer usually pops the IOD fuse out while the car is waiting to be sold to minimize the chance of a dead battery on the lot.
The owners manual has a description of which fuse does what. You may find an owners manual for downloading at chrysler.com