General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Euro 95 Octane in a Town&Country

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Default Euro 95 Octane in a Town&Country

Sent my '03 3.8L T&C to Europe since my wife is leasing a new one. Now this American engine is designed for 87 Octane, however in Europe minimum Octane is 95.
Wondering if anyone has any knowledge which can share with me on how this affects this 3.8L engine and how I can improve the engine to take advantage of this higher Octane gas.
Some guy told me I need to do "engine remapping" so to get the "extra horsepower" of 95 and get a little better MPG. I would love that but he doesn't know how to...
Does anyone have knowledge on this matter? Any help would be appreciated.

Ray A.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 PM

The octane rating used in Europe is different from that displayed on fuel dispensers in the US. Here the number you see is the average of the two most common methods of measuring octane number. The two methods are Research Octane Number or RON and Motor Octane Number or MON. On dispensers in the US you will usually see a small sign indicating this is an average of the two by showing (R+M/2).

This average number is also called the Anti-Knock Index or AKI. The number usually displayed in Europe is the higher, RON number and although it may be 5-8 numbers higher than the usual 87 number or AKI in the US, the difference is not as great as the higher number would have you believe.

The discussion of Octane number and how it affects a car's engine can become extremely complicated and long. I would suggest you read the article on Wikipedia about Octane Number and see the long list of fuels and their Octane ratings in various countries around the world.

As to your car with it's 3.8 engine, I honestly don't see how you would obtane anywhere near an extra 95 horsepower without many modifications to the engine. Just using fuel of a higher Octane Number than that required will not usually raise the power produced by any measurable extent. Especially since the 95 Octane Number advertised in Europe is really only comparable to the usual 89 AKI number, or mid-grade fuel sold in the US.

As I said, to save much typing, go to Wikipedia and read the article on Octane Number...., and then don't expect any real increase in the power produced by your engine...., unless you do some extensive modifications that really would not be worth the time and trouble, as to do so could have adverse effects on other parts of your van. For example, your transmission was designed to live a long life transmitting a certain level of power. Raising the stress on the transmission can only have detremental effects on it's performance and lifespan.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Thank you for your reply and the octane info. Not looking for horsepower as much as reliability of the vehicle.
So then I should not worry about my engine breaking from the higher octane gas. I mean the engine wont get too hot and suffer damage or oxygen sensors go bad or extra knocking, etc...
Well, as long as it can serve my parents for a couple of years, I'll be happy.
Thanks guys.