General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Get and Diagnose Chrysler computer codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Default Get and Diagnose Chrysler computer codes

I found this usesful information searching for some thing with my car and thought I'd share it with you all.

All Chrysler vehicles with fuel injection have had some form of "error checking." In many older vehicles, a person could easily turn the key back and forth a few times to get a two-digit code. With some of the newer vehicles, a longer code seems to be used. In addition, as with all vehicles sold in the United States, the system is OBDC3 compatible, so that a standard diagnostic device can be plugged into a standard jack to get computer codes.

When some problems are found, the computer lights up the "engine light;" others are ignored until a mechanic asks for them. The "engine light" stays on when a serious emissions or engine problem is found, until the code is erased.

Chrysler vehicles have a "limp in" mode which reverts to a pre-programmed "guessing map" for timing, fuel delivery, etc. when a critical sensor fails. Those who have been in other cars when their oxygen sensor failed can feel grateful for this feature, though it can be confusing - for example, in some (maybe all) models, the automatic transmission is limited to second gear! The engine light also turns itself on for two seconds every time the car is started so you will know the bulb still works.

The "engine light" may shut itself off if there are no problems for three consecutive trips, or three consecutives engine misfire or fuel system tests with no problems.

To get the codes, put the key into the ignition, push down the odometer reset button, then turn the key to RUN with your finger on the button - and then release the button. The odometer will go through 1111111 through 999999, then display the car's serial number, then show the error codes starting with P. I'm not sure what the other displays mean. Note that this method may not work with 2003 or later vehicles.

Here's the old method which may work if the first one doesn't: move the key from Run to Off to Run to Off to Run within five seconds. It does not always work the first time. (Run is JUST before Start). The code will show up in the odometer - thank your lucky stars for this, since the codes used to get blinked on the engine light. This could be frustrating since they sometimes seemed to pause in the wrong place...

You can also get the codes using an OBDC III scan tool. That's the best way to do it, but not everyone wants to spend the cash on these tools.

Here is a link for error Codes and What they mean. Error Codes and Meaning

Old 05-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Default RE: Get and Diagnose Chrysler computer codes

I am so sorry for the advertisments in the post. It was a cut and past thing and it came with it.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Get and Diagnose Chrysler computer codes

Thanks for posting it. I will be using it to hack PSP games and "stuff"

Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 PM

I just went out and tried this on my 98 sebring all I got as a quick flash of check 1what the heck was that? it has the 2.5 v6 in it

Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM

wondering why this did not work on my 98 sebring 2.5 v6

Old 02-25-2011, 09:10 PM

Could be that your car has no error codes stored. That's a good thing.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:18 AM

well heres the thing did I erase them when I took the battery cable off.? and it wont start as it has no spark

Old 02-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

your screwed u get to go through it manually and see whats going on or take it to a shop and let them do it.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:33 PM

To get the codes, put the key into the ignition, push down the odometer reset button, then turn the key to RUN with your finger on the button - and then release the button. The odometer will go through 1111111 through 999999, then display the car's serial number, then show the error codes starting with P. I'm not sure what the other displays mean. Note that this method may not work with 2003 or later vehicles.
I gotta tell ya dude.....

That is Priceless................

The MMC designs....like your 2.5....use a different configuration, so the "3-KEY-SHuffle" wont work.....

And by the way...Whoever dreamed up getting DTC's by the ODOmeter reset, is sadly mistaken...That gives you cluster communication codes, and puts you into Gauge and display self test modes....