General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Head unit swap out to Pioneer Nav/DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Default Head unit swap out to Pioneer Nav/DVD

Hello all. I need some help. I am debating whether or not to change my head unit out in my Pacifica. My main concerns is how well the Metra AXXESS CHTO-02 kit (or others) will work with all my toys in the car.

I am concerned with these things/options: Navigation, Sirius Sat Radio, UConnect, Steering Wheel radio controls, rear view camera, adding a rear monitor, using factory amp or going with a new one, re-using the factory DVD for the Nav disk in my Pioneer AVIC unit. Please review these questions and comment on them if you have gone through the CAN bus leap to switch out your stock system.

Which wiring adapter kit did you go with?

How well did it work with the aftermarket radio?

Does your UConnect still work through the speakers?

Can you use the factory Nav, with voice through your speakers?

Do your steering wheel controls work (not sure if they do with the Metra kit)?

Did you hook up a rear view camera?

Did you get your existing Sirius radio adapter to work with your new head unit?

What did you do about the amp? Did you stay with the stock one and use the kit to make it work? I'm assuming I need to use a stock amp to have the ability to use all the above things right?

My Pioneer head unit has an ability to control the subwoofer through the interface... does the Metra Kit let you use it though?

Thanks for your feedback if you've been through this before. I don't want to recreate the wheel......

Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Default hmmmm

Hmmmm no responses... I guess changing out the head unit in a loasded PAC isn't very popular. I went to a custom audio shop and asked the questions. There is another huge issue I didn't realize at all. Our radio is smaller than a double DIN and you can't just toss a trim kit in there. I weould have to lose the 6 DVD also and have a custom fiberglass mold made to switch head units ($500 for the piece).

I would also lose the UConnect feature and the in dash nav, have to buy a new Sirius box because the facotry ones don't work with aftermarket radios, and I'd lose my ability to fade front to back speakers too.
In short, it's just not worth switching out the head unit.

I guess I'll just be adding the stock amp and sub afterall.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM

It's hard to do in a Pacifica, especially a Limited...Crutchfield sells a single-DIN chassis kit for $20 (much cheaper than $500!), but like you said, you would lose the 6-disc changer and the rear-seat DVD video with the Metra kit. Most of those kits (Metra, PAC, etc.) require a separate kit to interface with the steering wheel controls.

You may want to take a look at upgrading those speakers if you're considering an amp upgrade, the "whizzer cones" on the factory speakers and sub are pretty underwhelming.

I won't touch my wife's Pacifica audio system, except for upgrading the sub.