General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Heater Blows Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Default Heater Blows Light

Hello! Help, My heater temp is good but the strength of the heat blowing out is not very strong?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Default RE: Heater Blows Light

You'll usually find that a thermostat is the cause. If it has gone into "fail-safe" mode, it will make the car slow to warm up, run slightly cooler than normal (not much) and cause your heat to be weak.

Other things include a blockage of a heater hose (kink, rust), blockage of the heater core (not likely) or a "blend door" problem, limiting the amount of air from the heater core that enters the vehicle. (Vacuum controls and servo motors are usually to blame for this)

This is assuming that your water pump has the capability to pump enough to keep the car cool when running. A weak one may make the motor run a little hot, while leaving the heater core cooler, prior to it completely failing.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:14 PM

If you are referring to the fan speed, a faulty blower motor resistor can cause a lower fan speed.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 PM

I would disagree about the faulty resistor causing a lower fan speed. Usually, when a resistor goes bad, you get only one speed, and that's full blast.
What do you mean by "the strength of the heat blowing out"?
Are you referring to the temperature of the air coming out of the ducts or the velocity of the air?
Are you sure you have the heater controls set properly? You can control the temperature, the mode and the fan speed all separately.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 AM

That is true, in most cases a resistor will completely fail and the result will be a fan that only runs on high. But on more than one occasion I have had a resistor pack deteriorate to where the resistance of the element changes but does not completely fail, leading to a higher resistance which reduces the fan speed. I interpreted his (or her)"strength of the heat blowing out" as a slower than normal fan speed as opposed to heat temperature. I could be wrong but it should would be nice if he (or she) would jump on and clarify.