General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP - Oil and Engine Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Default HELP - Oil and Engine Issue?

I have a 2007 Chrysler Aspen with the 4.7 flex fuel V8. First oil change was at 3500 mi. After that we tool our first road trip or 3000 mi. During the trip, the engine consumed 1 qt of oil. I Just changed the oil myself at 7144 and switched to synthetic. During the change I noticed that there was white emulsion on the dip stick. I know from experience this is moisture. While under the vehicle I also noticed that there was a leak (steady slow drip) between the joint that leads from the exhaust manifold to the connection with the exhaust system (muffler and pipe); the fluid leaking is clean and smells sweet. I'm trying to get my head around if I have a potential BIG issue or not before I take it to the dealer as the vehicle is under warranty until 2011 (in service date 2008). My thought are as follows:
1. Potential head gasket issue seal or expansion allowing antifreeze into the oil.
2. Exhaust gas blow by through pistons (not sure what is normal for this engine).
3. Possible vacuum leak on intake manifold allowing for moisture to enter the system.
4. Some other valve (EGR, etc.) allowing air and moisture entry.

As we have a slightly rough idol at stop when in drive, I am kind of leaning towards #3, and think the leak I mentioned could potentially smell sweet due to general exhaust emissions in the moisture. I also did not see any separation in the old oil, so I don't think the moisture is highly evasive at this point. Still doesn't explain oil consumption - but dealer may not have filled the engine all the way as when I changed oil I used almost 7 qts with filter change.

Anyone else have any suggestions or ideas? There are no engine lights or codes, so I will have to press the dealer to action as I did not buy the car from them. I'd rather go into this knowledgeable and be able to rationally and firmly explain what I want done. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by afnospam; 01-09-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:15 PM

This could be nothing at all, or something. Let me ask one thing here, did you warm the engine up thoroughly before changing the oil? If not, it could explain what's going on. Burning gasoline produces CO2, CO and water. The water will condense on cold metal in the exhaust system until the metal warms up enough. Then it will find its way out the system as steam, mostly invisible except in very cold weather, like now.
Likewise, if most of your driving is short trips in cold weather, you'll find water condensing in the engine and building up there until you drive enough to thoroughly warm up the engine and dry it out.
Both the water dripping out the exhaust and the emulsified deposits on the dipstick could merely be signs of this cold weather condensation.
Or they could be signs of something more serious, like a head gasket. Check for these things once the engine is well warmed up, like after 20 minutes of driving, with some at expressway speeds. If not present then, you are probably ok. If the dripping is still present, get it in for a look-see by the dealer under warranty.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Definitely NOT #2, #3 and probably not #4. check the slime under the oil fill cap and don't be afraid to have a taste. It won't harm you, if sweet, you have antifreeze in the oil. A bad head gasket will give all symptoms: slime in the oil, external leak, and rough running. Exhaust does not have a sweet smell/taste unless coolant is getting into the system.

welcome to the quality Chrysler products... sure went down the crapper after Iacocca left.

Oil fill specifications for the 4.7 is 6qts w/ filter. It is possible the last people to change the oil only used 5qts since that's been the most common fill quantity for years.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. That afternoon while letting my post sit I also thought of condensation as we have been much colder than usual. I had the wife take the car for a longer drive and sure enough - the film disappeared from the did stick and the drip disappeared. But man, there must be much more condensation developing internally than I have seem on any car I have owned (Japanese and German). And the oil came up a good half quart after prolonged driving - now I am overfilled. Anyone changing the oil do the 6 qts and drive a while before rechecking.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM

The other problem with changing the oil before the engine is well warmed up is that you don't drain all the old oil out. Cold oil gets pumped up into the upper regions of the engine but runs down slowly. The same problem can give you a false reading on the dipstick if you run the engine for a short time before checking the oil level.
Either check the oil before starting the engine or wait until it's fully warmed up before checking the oil level.
That big V-8 has a lot of iron in it and will take a little longer to warm up. Additionally, as engines become more fuel efficient, there is less waste heat produced, which means they will take longer to warm up.