General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Inside fan won;t stop.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Default Inside fan won;t stop.

Hi! I have a problem with the inner fan from air con. Two days ago is started on full power all of a sudden and wouldn;t stop unless I switched off the engine. I can adjust the temperature (cold, hot) but jjust can;t stop the fan from blowing on full power and is giving me such a head ache. Any ideas? Many thanks, Moni

Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 PM

You need to replace the resistor block for the blower.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Default Thank you

Thank you very much. I have an appointment at a second garage tomorrow and am very curious to see what they think. On friday someone (not an expert, just a mechanic) said it will probably cost me minimum £600 to replace what's broken (at their garage....and around £1500 at a main dealer ---although he wasn't sure exactly what might have been whrong). His boss also said that to change the light bulb on the front will cost me £60 because he has to take off the front bumper...Prety odd considering that I googled how to replace a light bulb at a grand voy. and said it'[s a piece of cake, just have to be really carefull. So...it;s jaw dropping what these people would say and do just to take your money.
Thanks again..

Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 AM

Not sure about the Voyager, but usually the resistor block can be replaced from inside the vehicle with about 15 minutes work or less. The part should cost about $50 or less from the dealer.

If somebody is quoting you £600 to replace the resistor block, he's intent on ripping you off.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Default Resistor block ...(to buy from USA?)

Hi all! Had my car checked at a local garage. Cost me £70 (that's almost double in $) just to have it checked (you can imagine the headache I had when they told me the price)....and came up with the extra 386 + VAT to change the resistor block....that's 456 alltogether. THey said that only the resistor itself is 276 + Vat and the rest is the charge to replace it. And this is a serious garage that I trust....I called the local Chrysler dealer too and they said it's going to be 310 the resistor +replacement (that's also like at least $500)???????? It;s better than 386 anyway.
My other option is to talk to some friends in USA and ask them to buy me the replacement resistor as I heard it's a lot cheaper and have it sent over through DHL or smth simillar.
Any advice anyone? Or an alternative?
P.S. I'm located in London, UK...

Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Invest in a Haynes or Chilton manual for your vehicle, or search eBay for an official shop manual. Or bite the bullet and buy a manual from an on-line source. Parts can likewise be purchased on line. Even if you decide that a particular repair is beyond your capabilities, you'll be able to discuss the repair intelligently with your garage and they'll be less likely to hose you on the price.

For your information, I bought a resistor from my local Dodge dealership (for my Chrysler Sebring) for about $35 in Detroit and installed it in about 20 minutes. I'm sure a pro could have done it in far less time.

I'm not sure about the Voyager, but you probably will need to remove the glove box liner or the dress panel below it to find the resistor block. It will probably be the only thing with a bunch of wires coming out of it in the heater plenum. Probably held in place with a couple of screws. There must be others on the forum who have swapped out this part who could be more exact.

If I were you I'd hunt for the part on the web (you could try chryslerparts.net) see if they are willing to ship to the UK and I'll bet you can save a ton of money.