General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MyGiG RER hard drive swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 06:45 AM

FYI, the hard drive is a 30 GB Samsung "Duramatic" laptop-style 2.5" drive. Model number is HM031HC

I might be able to pull an image of the drive that I could send you, if you don't need the actual physical hard drive.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by jtocwru
You might be in luck. I sold that van years ago, but I still have the hard drive that I purchased as a spare!
Hello. Thank you very much for answering. I am very interested. a question. Do you have the disk image or the hdd? I ask because I am in Mexico and maybe it will be difficult to send the hdd here, I don't know. How could I do to buy it?

Old 07-25-2022, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jesusgardel
Hello. Thank you very much for answering. I am very interested. a question. Do you have the disk image or the hdd? I ask because I am in Mexico and maybe it will be difficult to send the hdd here, I don't know. How could I do to buy it?
It's the old IDE 40-pin type of hard drive, instead of the newer SATA connector, so I don't have a way of making an image of the drive. But, let me ask some coworkers. Someone might have an IDE-to-USB adapter. They're only like $10 on Amazon!

Do you have the MyGIG taken apart? Swapping the hard drive is not hard once you get the MyGIG removed from the dashboard. If you could buy a 2.5" 30 GB IDE hard drive, then all you'd need is the image. That is why I still have the actual "Chrysler" hard drive. I used a Western Digital hard drive when I replaced my MyGIG drive, and I kept the "Chrysler" one as a safe backup. The Chrysler OEM hard drive is a Samsung "Duramatic" 30 GB 2.5" drive, model number HM031HC

Someone HM031HC drives ebay for $162 which is totally crazy, because you can just use any IDE laptop drive, and they're like $10-$15 on ebay. If worse comes to worst, I will ship you my HM031HC hard drive for just the cost of shipping. I can't imagine it would be more than like $20.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:29 AM

If you want, I can put my hard drive on ebay as a private listing, and that way I can get ebay discounted international shipping...

Old 07-27-2022, 07:19 PM

If you want, I can put my hard drive on ebay as a private listing, and that way I can get ebay discounted international shipping...
Sound great for me! Could you put the link here? I don't know if the forum allows it. Thanks for the help! I'm ready 😃

Old 07-27-2022, 09:04 PM

Sound great for me! Could you put the link here? I don't know if the forum allows it. Thanks for the help! I'm ready 😃
These drives are for sale for like $200 online, it's absolutely insane. I put mine on ebay starting at $0.01. I hope this works!

http://ebay.us/Z1y7Rr?cmpnId=5338273189

Old 08-17-2022, 12:48 PM

Hi there, it looks like the hard drive was delivered. Have you swapped it in, and is everything working now? Just curious how you made out! I still think it's wild that you found me on this forum, and that I still had the hard drive from several years ago, and that I shipped it to Mexico!!

Old 08-18-2022, 06:44 AM

Hi there, it looks like the hard drive was delivered. Have you swapped it in, and is everything working now? Just curious how you made out! I still think it's wild that you found me on this forum, and that I still had the hard drive from several years ago, and that I shipped it to Mexico!!
hi. I'm still waiting! I have not received it yet, I managed to locate it, it is in Mexico City waiting to be reviewed by customs, then it travels to Tijuana where I am. Delivery is scheduled for Saturday 20. As soon as it arrives I will install it and share the result with you. cant wait

Old 08-30-2022, 05:47 AM

hi. I'm still waiting! I have not received it yet, I managed to locate it, it is in Mexico City waiting to be reviewed by customs, then it travels to Tijuana where I am. Delivery is scheduled for Saturday 20. As soon as it arrives I will install it and share the result with you. cant wait
At last. the disk arrived. It crossed the whole country but finally I have it. I haven't installed it yet but everything seems fine. It arrived well protected and I already connected it to my pc to make a backup and everything looks fine. The drive works and all partitions are there intact. I'm going to install it in the week and let you know how the process goes. again, thank you very much.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:45 AM

I have installed the disk. everything works great. I have disk space and maps working without problem. I really appreciate your help, I already have a backup of the disk so that the same thing doesn't happen again. It was amazing to have been able to find a replacement after such a long time. once again, thank you very much.

Quick Reply: MyGiG RER hard drive swap