General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Odometer/tripometer issues...plus...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Default Odometer/tripometer issues...plus...

Hi all,

I have a used 2000 PT Cruiser that I bought a few months ago and it has a few issues. I've been asking around on PT sites, but no one has an explanation, I figure it's time to open the field a little and find out if any other Chrysler owners have had these problems. I have no fault codes appearing in the display. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Engine Temperature light always on:
According to the extensive paperwork that came with the vehicle, this problem was reported years ago and never resolved. It might be because of a faulty bulb, or a faulty reading coming from PCM. But as the light is on from the moment the car is started and temp gauge never goes above normal, I am convinced it is probably just a faulty sensor or a grounding problem and not an actual warning light. Annoying though.

Odometer/Tripometer not accurate:
This is not the speedometer. The Odometer/Tripometer seems to only record about half of the travelled distance. This could be connected to the turn signal chime problem as both are failing to determine distance travelled (see below). Probably a bad sensor (best guess is the Output Speed Sensor, or maybe INPUT Speed Sensor?), or a fault with how the PCM is receiving this information, but without a fault code, where do you start looking?

Turn signal warning chime:
This is supposed to warn the driver if the turn signal has been left on for a distance of 1 mile while the car is traveling over 15 mph. Right now, it is activated anytime the turn signal is on and car exceeds 15 mph. I have replaced the Multi-Function switch (indicator stalk) which has been known to short out and create other problems involving the fog lights. Again, it’s probably a faulty sensor but the car has so many sensors, unless a fault code is found, it could be a long hunt. VERY annoying.
Thanks

Old 11-16-2011, 01:15 PM

No ideas then?...