General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Policy

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Default Policy

Can someone please explain why I can not get a starter tested without dragging my whole vehicle to the dealer? The Car is no longer under warranty, but the starter is. I just wanted to have it tested and replaced if bad. I am a retire mechanic and know how to check the starting system of a vehicle, what few parts that are actually involved.
I tried talking to costumer service but they offered no help at all. Any auto parts store would test the starter and honor they warranty, why can't Chrysler??

Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Default RE: Policy

moe in wichita ks
i have had trouble chrysler warranty more than once. do this. get about 4 or 5 kids from you naborhood 3 years to 5. take them to the icecream store get each one a messy treat. go the dealer go into the showroom. tell the maneger that if they dont do it the way you ask you will have the kids inspect the cars in the showroom. they will sing a different tune. whats he going to do? have the cops arrest the kids?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM

The above wa quite dumb.

I work at Chrysler, we dont have anyway to bench test a starter, there is a machine that hooks up to the car, and runs through the test

Old 06-18-2008, 12:23 PM

No way to bench test? RIGHT! I have had starters bench tested for over 20 years. Chrysler just doesn't want people fixing there own cars.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Blaxjax

No way to bench test? RIGHT! I have had starters bench tested for over 20 years. Chrysler just doesn't want people fixing there own cars.
Go easy. Dealerships go about repairs and maintainence differently than local shops or auto stores. They have established practices set forth by the company, and the only methods they can use are all approved by the parent company, especially as it applies to warrany repairs. Also the only toys they have in their shops are approved as well. It doesn't surprise me that they don't have a bench tester. EVERYTHING is now done by computer.

As far as Chrysler not wanting people to be able to fix their own cars... Actually, I don't think they consider repair at all when designing their stuff. It's just as hard for their trained mechanics to fix them as it is for you.