General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Practical repair info. Chrysler.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Default Practical repair info. Chrysler.

This is worth a read as it seems to contain a huge amount of direct practical advice over a range of Chrysler models when problems happen.

http://starparts.chrysler.com/starli...n/Electric.pdf

Leedsman.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 AM

Another good read is this:--
Unintended Acceleration - Find the Cause - Car Forums - Edmunds

Under #66 posting there is a discussion on how glitches* getting into microprocessors various in an automobile from a slightly dodgy alternator can cause all sorts of false readings in the errorcode section. In one case the cam position sensor was replaced on the errorcode advice to no avail, but replacing the alternator and battery fixed the problem permanently. It is suggested that glitch* spikes on top of the alternator output were responsible. These glitch* spikes can also affect the control system, partic. the "fly-by-wire" throttle control. It seems that any control function of engine or autobox can be affected. The man posting has a degree in this subject.

Ford have found similar problems, and their advice is to apply an oscilloscope to the alternator output (which is directly connected to the battery of course) and look for glitches*. It is the subject of a Ford TSB.

I'm going to do this with my GV as I have oscilloscopes in my workshop -- but it keeps raining here, and my GV lives outside, so I've not been able to report. Upon some nice weather, I'll do the work and post some pictures.

* Glitch here means a rapid voltage "spike" on top of the 12volt line lasting milliseconds, and not as in common parlance a simple fault

Leedsman.