General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Maintenance and repair info

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Default Maintenance and repair info

For anyone interested in seeing online service schedules or maintenance information, please feel free to see my project, Servassist Online:

http://www.servassistonline.com

Thanks.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Maintenance and repair info

I have bought my PT Cruiser at the Chrysler dealership about a year ago and started going there to do a maintenance. Last time they told me I need to flash power steering fluid. Before that it was injector induction. I checked the service book, but it would not suggest power steering fluid flash or injector induction except for an oil change and some inspection work.

So I called up and asked, how do you know it is time to change this or that on the top of the oil change. They responded that my car is in their computer, and computer suggests all these works. For example next time I will come to do my oil change, they will do wheel alignment, next time over it will be a transmission fluid flash and spark plugs change, and so on. Never mind service book.

What is it? Do I really need regular oil change every 3 months or 3000 miles/5000 kms, whatever comes first, or all the mandatory works every visit?

I do not mind doing that and paying if this is all that necessary to make sure the car is running and the warranty is covered. But my question again: is it necessary?

BTW my old Dodge Neon is 12 years old and over 220,000 km/137,500 miles as of now. I swear I have never even thought of flashing power steering fluid on it. Still able to make turns.

Where is the truth?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:00 PM

Your owners manual will tell you when to do things and what needs doing when. There's a big section in there about maintenance. Follow those recommendations. They can't refuse warranty service if you have done what is recommended. I doubt you will find any recommendations there about flushing the power steering fluid. Flushing the power steering fluid at regular intervals may not do much for your vehicle but it will assist the dealer's profitability.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

I beg to differ any fluid that is oil based will over time break down and lose its orginal properties.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:26 PM

So how much time is involved in "over time" where power steering fluid is involved?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

I would say every 3 years on avg I change by brake fluid and PS fluid every 3 years.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 PM

What is your method for flushing and/or replacing power steering fluid? I have seen people suggest using a turkey baster to suck out the fluid from the reservoir but that doesn't seem to be a very great idea. The shop manual make no mention of a procedure, and the owners manual does not give a service interval.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

What I do is get one of the flushes either at an auto parts store or use what the dealer has at the time. The manual way is to suck some of it out add the stuff in and then run it for a few to get it going through the systemm.
After that go to the lowest point in the steering system and undo the line it will then gravity bleed the fluid out.
Add some into the fill spot and when new fluid comes out U got the flush out of the system. The other way is to use one of the machines that is provided when U but the pro grade of flush at dealers or most auto shops.
There wont be a service nterval becuase it is not a federal issue nor an emmision related item that would or can cause failure in teh running of the car and cause an check engine light and a federal no no.
Same thing goes with brake flushes do yours one time and the brakes will feel night and day.