General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PT crusier

Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 PM
tel
Default PT crusier

2001 PT Crusier after a long run on the hwy 50 or more miles, when I pull off the hwy the motor dies, turns over but will not fire, wait 5 mins and it will start.
No check engine light. the dealer replaced the computer today, drove it around for 20mins said it was fixed, I took it down the hwy 70miles, as soon as I came to a stop at the lights on the off ramp it died, would not start, sat there for 7 mins turned the key and away it went.. drove through town home and it was fine..any suggestions guys.
Thanks in advance.
tel

Old 09-14-2007, 03:16 AM
Default RE: PT crusier

Two things that I would check on would be your fuel pressure. Perhaps after alongdrive the fuel pumpmight not be pumping as much as it should be. The other item would be the coil.It's possible that after it gets really hot, itmay shutdown until it cools off. Just things you can check on, never can tell. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:12 AM
tel

Thanks for your advice. .. Fuel pressure maybe.. but coil? as long as I stay at hwy speed in runs great..as soon as I come to a stop or almost to a stop...ie stopping at the off ramp lights or stop sign is the time it dies, but then I only have to wait 5mins and it's starts up..would the coil cool down in 5mins?
Thanks again in advance,.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Well, you just never know. These were the two things that came to mind. Perhaps one of them is your culprit. Something to look at anyway. Good Luck and keep us posted with your results.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 AM
tel
Default RE: PT crusier Update

The dealer had the car for fours on Monday.. had it running with a computer hooked up to it.. it ran pefectlley so I decided to take it home as I live 100 miles away..all Hwy driving when I pulled off the hwy after about 90 miles at hwy speedthe light was green so I kept going.. the next light was red so I had to stop.. as soon as the revs dropped to idle it died.. would not re start.. after about four or five mins it started right up just like nothing had happend. drove it about ten miles to the next light.. same thing..started right up after about five mins. It seems I can drive around town all day and it's OK....to day to goes in for a new fuel pump... what else can I do...
tel

Old 09-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

clean your throtle body out

Old 09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
tel

Thanks for the advice.. I will try that.
Regards
tel