General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 pt crusier starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Default 2003 pt crusier starter problem

Having trouble with the starter engaging sometimes when its cold I can start it by crossing the solinoid and then it wont do it all day. Replaced the solnoid wire back to the fuse box and the starter relay in the fuse box. Recently the engine light came on read the codes it said failure in the evap system. I had the light turned off a week ago its staying off. I understand this is controlled by the PCM. Should I have it reflashed or replace it? $95.00 to get it flashed another $95.00 for them to check to see if something is wrong with it. $325.00 for a new one with a lifetime warranty. And could that be whats wrong with the starter too? Oh yeah its a 2003 non turbo

Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

b4 u go all crazy and start replacing stuff why dont u do some research on the code at hand flashing and or replacing the pcm is a complete wast of time and money this wont fix a single thing.

as for the starting what do U mean U cross the sol wire?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 PM

When I try to start with the key turning forward to engage the starter it wont do anything no click nothing. The dash lights and all come on but nothing happens. So I get out leaving the key on take a srewdriver across the sol wire and batt wire. The car starts right up I drive it. It might not do it again for a day maybe a week. I wiggled the wire once and it started with the key. So I thought it might be a bad sol wire, replaced it back to the fuse box. Didnt help. The wiring diagram shows the items in the curcuit,starter,starter sol,(starter relay replaced)ignition and PCM. When the light came on about the evap system I thought maybe that both the starter and the evap system problem was caused in a malfunction in the PCM. The evap code has been off now for almost 10 days but the starter messed up once yesterday. When I bought the car it had a aftermarket alarm on it I was advised to remove it because it could mess with the PCM so I did.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

get that wire diagram out again go to the starter relay
when it wont start remove the relay and see what pins ahve power and what have ground when trying to start it up then get back to me.