General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 AM
Default Shifting issue

Hi new here I have a 05 magnum with a 2.7 I recently changed the water pump and after everything back installed I noticed after being warmed up it won't shift out of third gear. I rechechecked everything and everything seems good but noticed in front of motor I guess the cam sensor was cracked around the casing could that possibly be giving it its trans problem? It was driving fine day before the pump got changed now it seems to not want to change put of third after warmed up..

Old 01-08-2019, 11:03 AM

Is the CEL illuminated? Then check for fault codes from the computer. How does the motor seem to run? normal or poorer after doing water pump and having to work with the timing chains?

Old 01-08-2019, 11:17 AM

Lined up chains and all tdc to proper specs it does seem to have a rough start but starts. Cel is on but have to get a scan tool to check. Before it warms up it shifts to 4th fine smooth shifts but after its warm and you get on it from a stop it will only rev to 3k and not go any higher and shifts into 3rd hard and won't shift to 4th

Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM

There is a way to get most codes without a scanner....
With the odometer set to read mileage(not trip miles) , turn the ignition key from off to run(not crank) 3 times . On the third time leave the key in the run position...codes will show as P_ _ _ _ and then when finished will display the word done in place of the mileage. WRITE them down as they appear and post them here. It will be a BIG HELP to give you more assistance! The process can be repeated if needed as long as battery power has not been interrupted.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by REBEL59
There is a way to get most codes without a scanner....
With the odometer set to read mileage(not trip miles) , turn the ignition key from off to run(not crank) 3 times . On the third time leave the key in the run position...codes will show as P_ _ _ _ and then when finished will display the word done in place of the mileage. WRITE them down as they appear and post them here. It will be a BIG HELP to give you more assistance! The process can be repeated if needed as long as battery power has not been interrupted.
ok I will try that thank you for the help

Old 01-08-2019, 03:01 PM

Ok was able to get a scanner and code came up p0016 camshaft/crankshaft pos sensor a bank 1 so my hunch its that broken sensor up front

Old 01-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Black05magii
Ok was able to get a scanner and code came up p0016 camshaft/crankshaft pos sensor a bank 1 so my hunch its that broken sensor up front
That would be my suggestion also, just wanted to make sure that there were not any other possibilities. With that sensor "cracked"(as posted), it can do weird things to motor AND trans functions.
Please let us know how things work out once you replace it.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:30 PM

Will do thanks

Old 01-14-2019, 10:58 AM

Ok after replacing the cam sensor and crank sensor the car still was doing the same thing. I was talking to one of my good friends who is a technician and who I've known since 16 we where trying to figure it out and Bing light bulb in my head, I remembered that when I lined up the timing marks on the timing chain with the links like they were supposed to the crank was off a tooth from the color coated link bit the cam sprockets were right so when I put everything back together I put the links to match the timing marks! Well the computer was timed and set to how it was (had the computer replaced year ago) so by me moving the chain to the correct way even tho it wasn't by the the computer timing it threw it off and made it go into a limp mode and the sensors weren't aligned if that makes any sense? Lol so on sat I took it apart again moved the link back one put it back together and now the car runs fine...

Old 01-14-2019, 03:00 PM

Good to hear that all is good now.. Congrats, as that was pretty hefty work to go back and do a second time! And my initial response was "in the ballpark"! Now enjoy a good running ride and hard work!